Author Topic: Rosh Hashana  (Read 1400 times)

Offline america

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: Rosh Hashana
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 03:44:26 AM »
Poll: How do Israelis mark Rosh Hashana?

Ynet-Gesher poll shows 69% of Israeli Jews plan to welcome Jewish New Year in Orthodox congregations, while only 22% will choose Reform or Conservative alternative

Ynet Published:  09.29.08, 10:29 / Israel Jewish Scene 

The High Holidays are here, temples are ready, but who will win the battle for worshippers? A survey conducted by Ynet's Judaism channel and the Gesher educational organization shows that 69% of Israelis plan to pray in Orthodox congregations, while only 22% will choose the Reform or Conservative alternative.

The most popular ways to mark the Jewish New Year are in family meals and an apple with honey.

The Ynet-Gesher survey was conducted by Panels Ltd. and included 500 respondents, who constitute a national representative sample of the adult Hebrew-speaking Jewish population in Israel.

In the first part of the survey, respondents were asked whether they plan to pray during the holiday and where they plan to do it. Thirty-two percent replied that they would pray in an Orthodox synagogue, 10% prefer Reform or Conservative places of worship and 4% choose quorums held in local community centers.

Fifty-four percent said they would not take part in the Rosh Hashana prayers at all. In total, 69% of the worshippers plan to pray in Orthodox congregations and 22% in Reform or Conservative synagogues.

How many seculars will attend shul?

An analysis of the religious affiliations reveals that they all prefer the Orthodox synagogues. However, 75% of seculars won't pray, as well as 29% of the traditional respondents and even 3% of the religious ones.

Two percent of the religious respondents said they prefer the Reform and Conservative synagogues.

Another analysis reveals that with age the number of worshippers drops. In the 18-20 age group 59% pray, in the 21-40 age group 48% pray, among the 41-50 age group 44% pray, and among the older age group only 41% pray.

Another figure shows that most men (52%) tend to pray while most women (60%) plan to stay home.

And how will Israeli Jews mark Rosh Hashana (more than one answer possible)? Eighty-six percent said they would attend family meals, 62% would eat an apple with honey and other holiday traditions, 37% will listen to the sound of the shofar (horn), 17% will tour the country, 3% will travel abroad, and 2% did not answer.

An analysis of the results reveals that the number of those who mark the Jewish New Year with religious traditions drops with age.

Shoshi Becker, educational director at Gesher Educational Affiliates, said that "the findings show the connection to tradition mainly revolves around family and holiday customs. An analysis of the survey reveals that the younger respondents are closer to the world of tradition.

Advertisement   

"A significant part of the public which does not define itself as religious or haredi does not attend the Rosh Hashana prayers, most likely because many of the synagogues are not open to those who do not observe the Torah and mitzvoth and sometimes even feels detached from them.

"I call on the congregations to respect and bring closer those who choose to visit the synagogue, make them feel wanted and open the door during the holidays to those looking for the connection to Judaism, regardless of their religious views."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3603645,00.html
I have the entire uncensored version downloaded.
Thanks guys!

Offline amalgamy

• Group Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 03:56:54 AM »
Nice, just because there is a finacial collapse is no reason to work through the Jewish Holiday.

All must suffer in These Days...

Wall Street Woes Challenge Shuls To Confront Crisis
http://www.forward.com/articles/14282/

Rabbi Marc Schneier of the Hampton Synagogue in Long Island`s Westhampton Beach said that several of his congregants had been forced to sell their second homes in response to the downturn.

Offline america

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 05:42:40 AM »
Oh I will never stop crying now. :'( :'(
I have the entire uncensored version downloaded.
Thanks guys!

Offline grizzle

• Group Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 06:16:06 AM »
I have a horn they can blow.
"Yes I know, science fiction...but actually, science fact." - Vincent Price in Scream and Scream Again

Offline dean_saor

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 06:50:16 AM »
Rabbi Marc Schneier of the Hampton Synagogue in Long Island`s Westhampton Beach said that several of his congregants had been forced to sell their second homes in response to the downturn

Oy Vey, Vhen vill the sufferink end?
Cha do dhùin doras nach d'fhosgail doras eile;
No door shut but another door opened

Offline amalgamy

• Group Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »
Nice, just because there is a finacial collapse is no reason to work through the Jewish Holiday.

:D
http://www.wakeupfromyourslumber.com/node/8397

Why is the US House off till Thursday to celebrate the Jewish New Year?

That's what I found out this morning when calling my rep to voice disapproval of her voting for the No Banker Left Behind Act.

The US House was off till Thursday to celebrate the Jewish New Year.

All of that wailing, moaning and gnashing of teeth the last few days about how we needed to pass the No Banker Left Behind Act or else the whole damned mess will crumble before our eyes and now they find time to celebrate Rosh Hasanah?

WTF?

No wonder they tried mightily to push thru that abonimation yesterday, their Zhid Masters were telling those GOY to get in line and push thru that bill or else!

The celebratory fun that will be honored for the BRIS of the American taxpayer's wallet will have to wait until after the Rabbis give the House their blessing.

I asked the person taking the call if the Jewish New Year was a national holiday and was told no, but the House takes time off for that Zionist manifestation.

Any doubt as to who really controls the US House should be put to rest.

Hell, I thought the traditional way the Jews celebrated a High Holy Day was to sic Israel on a neighboring country and blow some civilians to hell and gone.

Maybe they decided that blowing to hell and gone Wall Street would do in place of murdering some Arabs and Muslims.