Author Topic: Web's ability to spark bigotry rattles ADL chief  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Sojourner

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Web's ability to spark bigotry rattles ADL chief
« on: February 18, 2007, 07:41:51 PM »
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/content/local_news/epaper/2007/02/10/m3c_ADL_0210.html

Web's ability to spark bigotry rattles ADL chief

By Ron Hayes

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, February 10, 2007

PALM BEACH `” The national director of the Anti-Defamation League speculated Friday that the Internet may be a major factor in growing anti-Semitism throughout the world.

"I'm becoming convinced more and more every day that the reason anti-Semitism is out there more is this highway, this transmitter belt," Abraham Foxman told about 350 people gathered for the ADL's national executive committee meeting, which runs through Sunday at The Breakers. "These blogs circulate it and reinforce it and so there's more of it."

While calling himself "a complete illiterate" who's only now learning about computers, Foxman said he's seen the potential for spreading hatred and bigotry online.

"Want to get sick?" he asked. "Log on to 'Holocaust.' With the Web you can extend and enhance and entertain, but it's also provided a legitimate highway for bigotry."

On the Internet, neo-Nazis and Holocaust deniers have at least the same potential audience as Web sites that promote peace, love and understanding. But Foxman confessed frustration at finding an effective way to combat the Internet's potential for inflaming bigotry.

"We have to come up with a better answer so that when they Google 'Jew' they don't get a hateful, anti-Semitic definition," he said. "We have to tell the Jewish community to bombard the Web with 'Jewish' positively."

Foxman made his comments on the Internet as part of a keynote address in which he expressed concerns that anti-Semitism is rising throughout the world.

"Why are we now hearing all the hideous canards about Jewish people that we believed buried in history?" he asked.

Anti-Semitism seems to have increased since the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Foxman said.

Many people believe Israel was behind the attacks, he said. "This is a fact in at least a third of the world, if not more."

Terrorist attacks in Bali and the Sinai and the recent shooting of a newspaper editor in Turkey are being blamed on Jews, he said.

"I almost expect to hear that the Denmark cartoons that insulted the prophet Mohammed were our fault," he said.

Foxman also criticized former President Jimmy Carter, whose current bestseller, Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid, has offended many Jews and other supporters of Israel.

"When Jimmy Carter says he chose that title to provoke debate because the Jews control the debate, that's an anti-Semitic canard," Foxman charged. "It wasn't David Duke or Pat Buchanan who said it. It's Jimmy Carter, a former president of the United States, and he's still saying it.

"I don't remember ever being so seriously concerned about the safety and security of my grandson."

Posters comment:
"We have to tell the Jewish community to bombard the Web with 'Jewish'
positively."

I'd say they have already heeded the call.. more than sufficiently...  ::)

Offline NOLAJBS

• General
  • Leaderless resistance
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freedomportal.net
Re: Web's ability to spark bigotry rattles ADL chief
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 07:55:21 PM »
"We have to tell the Jewish community to bombard the Web with 'Jewish' positively."
GIYUS. We need mirror sites stat.  ;)
I support The Concept | "Freedom is a possession of inestimable value." - Cicero

Offline Proemio

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 07:57:49 PM »
"Why are we now hearing all the hideous canards about Jewish people that we believed buried in history?" he asked.

Awe-shucks, all that book-burning, only to find out history survived.
Truth is a bitch that way, Abe, it floats by itself...

Offline Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 09:38:04 PM »
"I almost expect to hear that the Denmark cartoons that insulted the prophet Mohammed were our fault," he said.

Methinks Abe protests too much...

Sounds like a preemptive disclaimer.

perhaps he might reconsider his career choices. Humor seems to be his strong suit. Is there no place in Hollywood for a stand-up comedian?

"I don't remember ever being so seriously concerned about the safety and security of my grandson."

And I for my granddaughter.
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline Lucidthots

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 08:25:07 AM »

Anti-Semitism seems to have increased since the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Foxman said.

Probably from all the explosions and stuff.  :-\
~By their works ye shall know them~

Mathew 7

Offline Lucidthots

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 08:45:03 AM »

Many people believe Israel was behind the attacks, he said. "This is a fact in at least a third of the world, if not more."

Terrorist attacks in Bali and the Sinai and the recent shooting of a newspaper editor in Turkey are being blamed on Jews, he said.

The internet is anti semitic. 

Mathew 7

Offline Chewbacca

• Group Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 10:05:12 AM »
"We have to tell the Jewish community to bombard the Web with 'Jewish' positively."

This is similar to what he said about Baptist churches. Get ready for some new terrorism in the USA. Anyone with half a brain knows thats where all the terrorism is coming from.
"and the land stank." Exodus 8:14

Offline Proemio

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 12:40:05 PM »
Methinks Abe protests too much...

Sounds like a preemptive disclaimer.

Talking a bout preemptive dog-and-pony shows, and an appearance by Abe:

There is this recent story from Italy, where this 'Israeli'-Italian historian published a book that never got published. The book apparently concludes that "ritual murders of Christian children for Passover" may indeed have been committed in Central Europe between 1100 and 1500.

Hurry, hurry - only three English links left on the Net...

Excerpt from jewishsf.com:
Ariel Toaff, who teaches Medieval and Renaissance history at Bar-Ilan University in Ramat Gan, Israel, wrote that Jews in the Middle Ages may have murdered Christian children to use their blood in religious rituals.

<snip>

Abraham Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League, wrote in a statement, `It is incredible that anyone, much less an Israeli historian, would give legitimacy to the baseless blood libel accusation that has been the source of much suffering and attacks against Jews historically.`

`Bloody Passover` is based on confessions, mostly extorted by torture, of Jews accused of ritual murder. The trials Toaff examines took place in Central Europe between 1100 and 1500, notably the 1475 trial in Trento, in what is today northern Italy, of 13 Jews of German origin. Under torture, they confessed to murdering and crucifying a Christian child on the eve of Passover.

Toaff`s thesis is that ritual murders of Christian children may have been committed, and that in the religiously passionate atmosphere of the Middle Ages there were small communities of Ashkenazi fanatics `” possibly deranged by persecution, perhaps filled with hate for their Christian tormentors `” who took revenge, veiling their actions with a combination of superstition and religious ritual.

Here is another thesis based on a focus on the italicised sub-text:

There is just too much 'baseless blood libel' around from all over - especially Eastern Europe and Russia who is waking up quickly - Central Europe, and then right up to at least Boston, mid last Century (20th), perhaps even more recent, tho no-one would have heard about it since then. At some point, with all the dots from current behavior in Palestine, Iraq and elsewhere, having Abe scream "blood libel' becomes rather counterproductive. How to blow some smoke?

One could write a learned book, hinting that the 'libel' may indeed have a basis, but limit it to a specific, narrow period, era and 'fanatical' group having a perfectly understandable reason for rage and revenge, from which all other 'baseless accusations' spring. Then quickly deny the possibility by other learned tracts, leaving the issue in a total pretzel. Depending on the audience, they can go from limited admission ("Old news; everybody knows it, but...") to complete denial, all perfectly controlled with tribal texts. The 'book' was probably never printed or written...

Will it stick? Probably not, because of such things as one having to believe that News travelled the continent almost as fast as today during the dark- and middle ages, to reach all the nooks and crannies where similar 'libels' where then generated.

Can someone explain what the last quoted paragraph tries to say? - Didn't think so...

Offline Snaggyjob

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 05:36:04 AM »

"Jewish [man] positively" pops Abe Foxmans "anti-Semite" bubble, threatening his job security. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1bG9NUcQ8Y

Throughout my whole life, I've never said a word against any Jewish person. Even so, after learning about the brutal Zionist policies being carried out against so many people, "exclusively" in the name of the Jews, I had to speak out. And I was shocked when certain people started bombarding me with accusations of being "anti-Semite" and "you just hate the Jews" and "you're a bad American." I'm sick of it and it's refreshing, from my human perspective, to see some Jewish people aren't willing to suffer with the same "victim" complex that Abe Foxman wants to spread!

"Lay me down to bleed a while, then I'll get up to fight again!" - Art Linkletter. For the tired and war weary

Offline Snaggyjob

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 06:17:59 AM »
The internet is anti semitic. 

After considering the abuse of Arab Semites by Zionazis, we must conclude, Zionism is "anti-Semite"
"Lay me down to bleed a while, then I'll get up to fight again!" - Art Linkletter. For the tired and war weary

Offline Snaggyjob

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 10:24:01 AM »

Bigot Jackie Mason Smears Barack Obama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2btMpf5rGjA&mode=related&search=

More from Jackie Mason  :D he's so funny...saying it like it is  :-* Ya just gotta love 'im!

"Jewish positively" bombarding the web with the truth about Abe Foxmans "anti-Semite" whine and our media bias, may be the only way to defeat all of those nasty "anti-Semite" Zionazis.

Offline Lucidthots

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 06:00:36 PM »
After considering the abuse of Arab Semites by Zionazis, we must conclude, Zionism is "anti-Semite"

I agree with that 100%.

Zionists are anti semitic.

Mathew 7

Offline Chewbacca

• Group Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 10:01:12 AM »
I dont know whose house smells more like gefilte fish, Cavuto's or Mason's.
"and the land stank." Exodus 8:14

Offline Snaggyjob

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »
I don't know whose house smells more like gefilte fish, Cavuto's or Mason's.

:DYou're so funny too, Chewbacca!

I don't know about this "gefilte fish" you type of, but that ludefisk my Daddy used to eat stunk up the whole house.

Aside from that, what's your point?