Author Topic: The Horrors of Extraordinary Rendition  (Read 383 times)

Offline amonvanroark

• Brigadier
    • View Profile
The Horrors of Extraordinary Rendition
« on: October 29, 2006, 09:22:35 AM »
 The Horrors of Extraordinary Rendition

By Maher Arar

Canadian citizen Maher Arar, who is barred from entering the United States, delivered his acceptance speech for the Letelier-Moffitt International Human Rights Award in a pre-recorded videotape. This is a transcript of his speech, which was viewed at the award ceremony hosted by the Institute for Policy Studies on Oct. 18, 2006 in Washington, DC.

10/27/06 "Counterpunch' --- - Hello my name is Maher Arar. Sorry I could not join you for today's ceremony.

All Center for Constitutional Rights Staff and I are humbled to have been chosen this year's recipient for the Letelier-Moffitt International Human Rights Award. This award means a tremendous amount to us. It means that there are still Americans out there who value our struggle for justice.

It means that there are Americans out there who are truly concerned about the future of America. We now know that my story is not a unique one. Over the past two years we have heard from many other people who were, who have been kidnapped, unlawfully detained, tortured and eventually released without being charged with any crime in any country.

Read the rest here:

LINK

Scroll down to view.

Poster's comment: Herein, Canadian citizen, Maher Arar, describes in his own words, how he was illegally abducted, and tortured, by agents of the US Gov't. One can only hope that someday these government agents, and those who empower them will be held accountable for their criminal deeds!
"Truth: An ingenious compound of desirability of appearance."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline amonvanroark

• Brigadier
    • View Profile
Re: The Horrors of Extraordinary Rendition
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 09:53:50 AM »
Further info related to the above post:

Confession That Formed Base of Iraq War was Acquired Under Torture: Journalist

By Agence France Presse

10/27/006 "AFP" -- -- An Al-Qaeda terror suspect captured by the United States, who gave evidence of links between Iraq and the terror network, confessed after being tortured, a journalist told the BBC.

Iban al Shakh al Libby told intelligence agents that he was close to Al-Qaeda leaders Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri and "understood an awful lot about the inner workings of Al-Qaeda," former FBI agent Jack Clonan told the broadcaster.

Libby was tortured in an Egyptian prison, according to Stephen Grey, the author of the newly-released book "Ghost Plane" who investigated the secret US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) prisons that housed terror suspects around the world.

US President George W. Bush confirmed the existence of the network of CIA holding facilities overseas during a September 6 speech defending controversial US interrogation practices.

Libby was apparently taken to Cairo, Clonan told the broadcaster, after being captured in Afghanistan in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States.

"He (Libby) claims he was tortured in jail and that would be routine in Egyptian prisons," Grey said.

"What he claimed most significantly was a connection between ... Al-Qaeda and the Iraqi regime of Saddam Hussein. This intelligence report made it all the way to the top, and was used by (former US secretary of state) Colin Powell as a key piece of justification ... for invading Iraq," he told the broadcaster.

Powell claimed in a UN Security Council meeting in February 2003, weeks before a US-led coalition invaded Iraq, that the country under Saddam Hussein had provided weapons training to Al-Qaeda, saying he could "trace the story of a senior terrorist operative", whom Grey alleges is Libby.

"At the time, the caveats to say this intelligence was extracted under torture were not provided," Grey said.

Grey said that, after being held in Egypt, Libby was transferred to a secret CIA facility in Bagram, just north of Afghanistan's capital Kabul. The journalist said he had also met other people held in that facility who describe the torture that Libby faced at the CIA facility.

Since then, "he disappeared", Grey said.

"Like hundreds of other people arrested after September 11, he's vanished into a sort of netherworld of prisons where astonishingly, President Bush now says the prisons have emptied. "

© Copyright 2006 AFP

SOURCE
"Truth: An ingenious compound of desirability of appearance."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline NuclearWinter

• Loyal Soldier of the Almighty
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 02:20:57 PM »
With the passage of the Military Commissions Act, and the John Warner National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007, extraordinary rendition will become normal and acceptable as will martial law.  Torture will become a way of life, and eventually, an American value...somehow, someway.  They'll justify it.
For those who do not have a contingency plan in place, I'd recommend developing one.  There is a reason that we have this type of Legislation.

-NW
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act

Offline NuclearWinter

• Loyal Soldier of the Almighty
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 02:32:12 PM »
What sucks about this is that we read it as if it's a fairy tale, or, "it's happening to someone else, so who cares?"
That's the wrong attitude.  I'll tell you what, if it were me, I know that I'd want an extraction squad to bust my ass out of those prisons, using all violent force possible.  No question asked.
It has yet to happen, and this is where we will fail.  Consider this, if it were you, what could you count on?  Our prayers and well wishes?  Or would you at least want us to generate bail money, or form an army to kill those who stood between us and you?  Which would you think is the most likely response, well wishes, or a violent stance against an unbending enemy who is determined to throw you in their homosexual rape camps and torture prisons?  Consider what you would rather have happen, if it were you, and determine your actions based upon that.  If it were anyone of us, and we knew that the charges were bullshit, then a jail break needs to take place, complete with assault rifles, and the enemies blood to the horses bridle.  In this light, it would appear that guys like Michael Kreca got off light.

-NW
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act