Author Topic: The Great Seal of Illinois (certified Sucker State)  (Read 582 times)

Offline PatrickHenry

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
The Great Seal of Illinois (certified Sucker State)
« on: May 06, 2006, 12:49:18 PM »

The Great Seal of the State of Illinois features an eagle carrying a shield in its talons. Thirteen stars and thirteen stripes on the shield represent the original thirteen states of the Union. This basic design has survived through several modifications since it was first conceived in 1818, the year that Illinois gained statehood. The date of the state's first constitution, Aug. 26, 1818, appears along the bottom arc of the circle, and 1818, the year of statehood, displays on the seal below 1868, the year the current seal was adopted.

But what about that banner in the eagle's beak? And why is one of the words on the banner upside down? Here's where we get a hint of some intrigue and controversy...

When the banner first appeared on the seal, it read "State Sovereignty, National Union". But then, in 1867, the Secretary of State Sharon Tyndale decided that some changes should be made to the seal. Under Illinois law, the Secretary of State is the guardian of the seal, but changes need to be authorized by the General Assembly. So the Secretary of State approached Senator Allen Fuller with the idea of changing the seal, and the Senator brought the proposal to the General Assembly. Now this was all happening at the time when the Civil War and issues of state's rights were still fresh in the nation's mind, and one of the changes that Tyndale had proposed was a change to the wording on that banner in the eagle's beak. The Secretary's proposal was to have the words on the banner read "National Union, State Sovereignty", instead of "State Sovereignty, National Union". The General Assembly disagreed, and decided that the wording should remain unchanged. So, the Secretary went along with the General Assembly's decision and made the minor changes that were agreed upon... Almost. Perhaps it was a twinkle in the Secretary of State's eye (or maybe a bit of spite?), but the Secretary made one small change to that banner that still exists today -- the word "Sovereignty", which previously was as readable as any of the words on the banner, ended up being turned upside down on the 1868 seal. Intentional? Playful? Spiteful? Who knows?

-Individual Liberty "death dives" in Illinois (1970)
(Actual Photo ..not doctored from Illinois History Teacher site)
ILLINOIS
Constitution-Making
In the Spirit of the Sixties,
1969-1970

"Voters however, did approve the new constitution. The vote was light`”about one-third of the registered voters participated`”and the campaign for its approval was low-key based on research that showed that the more people learned about the new constitution, the more likely they were to vote against it. As political analyst Sam Gove observed, this raises disturbing questions about the voter and constitutional change. Should proposals for change be kept quiet in hopes of a low voter turnout? What does this say about democracy?"

http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/2002/iht910244.html

People from Illinois are still called "Suckers" in some localities of
neighboring states. There are several legends about the origin of this
nickname. One is that on our prairies, during hot dry summers, the
early travelers obtained water by sucking it up through straws thrust
down into "crawfish" holes. Another is based upon the fact that the
first settlements, other than those of the early French at Cahokia and
Kaskaskia, were made in the extreme southern portion and mainly by
relatively poor people from tobacco-growing southern states. A tobacco
plant commonly sends up sprouts around the main stem. These
"suckers" are stripped off and thrown away. Hence, because these
emigrants had left their home states and come to the Illinois
wilderness "to perish", they were derisively called "Suckers".

The most plausible explanation dates from the opening of the first lead
mine, in 1824, about a mile north of Galena. By 1827 there were 6 or
7 thousand people in that area, most of them from the settlements in
southern Illinois and from the lead-mining district in southwestern
Missouri. The Illinois men came up the Mississippi on steamboats in
the spring and went back down to their homes each fall. The
Missourians jeeringly named them "Suckers" because the sucker is one
of the few common fish that migrates upstream each spring.

Take your choice, sucker!

I recently finished the "1970 Illinois Constitution Annotated for Legislators" (fourth addition) and the history behind the Illinois Constitutional Convention of 1970.. I can safely say that Illinois is "the Sucker" state (all alleged "rights" found in the Illinois Constitution are derived from U.S. Constitution 14th Amendment .. Privileges and Immunities.. written for former Slaves). Illinois Government is Operating as a U.S. Territory/state  (as opposed to One of the Fifty Union States/10th Amendment).

Have you had a close look at your "state" Constitution.. and if so.. what will you do about it?
P.H.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!