Author Topic: US government dangles internet control contract  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Splitends

• Gunnery Sergeant
    • View Profile
US government dangles internet control contract
« on: February 25, 2006, 11:00:08 AM »

US government dangles internet control contract
By Kieren McCarthy
Published Friday 24th February 2006 16:08 GMT

The US government has taken the extraordinary step of dangling the contract for control of the internet above the heads of the world.

In a "Sources Sought Notice (http://www.fbo.gov/spg/DOC/OS/OAM/Reference-Number-DOCNTIARFI0001/SynopsisR.html)" put out by the Department of Commerce (DoC) late on Tuesday and only just noticed by the internet community, it is asking for "potential respondents" for the contract to run the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).

The IANA "function" is the maintenance of the main root file of the internet, the internet's directory. It decides who runs all the branches of the internet, including all the world's country codes such as .uk for Britain or .de for Germany.

By not stating the process as a "rebid", which the US government is entitled to do, the notice has been widely seen by the industry as a stark warning to internet overseeing organisation ICANN to pull its socks up.

ICANN derives much of its real power from the fact that it holds the IANA contract and has frequently been accused of abusing that control to push its own agenda. Despite the fact that in public the US government is forced to praise ICANN, the two remain entwined in an unhappy marriage.

To make matters all the more complicated, the DoC actually retains control over ICANN and a memorandum of understanding between the two companies is due to expire later this year.

The DoC can't be seen to be abusing its influence, however, for fear the rest of the world will simply split from the current system and build their own versions of the internet. This potential "balkanisation" of the net has become a topic of real concern in the past few months.

As for the actual IANA function, despite a huge increase in its budget, while at the same time doing everything possible to make IANA and ICANN the same thing, it is still running essentially the same system it has for years.

This has infuriated internet registries across the world to the extent that the representative of many ccTLDs, Centr, set up and has been running an alternative test system (http://www.wwtld.org/) called e-IANA. e-IANA automates many of the IANA functions and so provides countries with a degree of autonomy over their own internet. So far, ICANN/IANA has steadfastly failed to hand over much of its power in the wider interests on the internet.

It remains uncertain however who will respond to the US government's call. Centr said: "We will continue to work with the IANA to ensure efficient and effective service." NeuStar may be interested in bidding. Afilias is keen to grab new contracts. Even the UK's Nominet could be interested - as long as it manages to pass fundamental changes in its company structure that are up for a vote next month.

But even if the DoC does receive several interested parties, there is no guarantee it will actually put the contract up for rebid.

It is a very interesting development, nonetheless, and an indication that ICANN can not expect to drag its feet any longer.

Offline NOLAJBS

• General
  • Leaderless resistance
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freedomportal.net
Re: US government dangles internet control contract
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 08:46:40 PM »
This can't be good!
I support The Concept | "Freedom is a possession of inestimable value." - Cicero

Offline gregor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 09:17:18 PM »
This means we can't become too dependent on the Net. 

We just had a primer with the LF fiasco.  The lesson is not to be limited to just one site.  Now there are warning shots that they will be screwing the whole thing down. 

So develop communities.  Use other means of communication.  Other means of data storage.  Be thinking how to become less dependent on the 'information economy'. 

Low tech rules.
To the web monitors:  You took an oath to the Constitution.  Why are you now subverting it?

Offline laconas

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 09:20:22 PM »
Let's enjoy freedom of speech while we can.
Nobody censors what they agree with

Offline laconas

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 09:28:35 PM »

This means we can't become too dependent on the Net.

We just had a primer with the LF fiasco.  The lesson is not to be limited to just one site.  Now there are warning shots that they will be screwing the whole thing down.

So develop communities.  Use other means of communication.  Other means of data storage.  Be thinking how to become less dependent on the 'information economy'.

Low tech rules.

Learning to decipher daily propaganda broadcasts known as the evening news is essential.

For example, if they say China is censoring the net, it means the US is censoring the net. If they say Iran has terror camps, it means the US has terror camps.

There is always some form of projection.
Nobody censors what they agree with

Offline Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 09:35:37 PM »
The DoC can't be seen to be abusing its influence, however, for fear the rest of the world will simply split from the current system and build their own versions of the internet. This potential "balkanisation" of the net has become a topic of real concern in the past few months.

Possible answer? I mean anybody can pick their own IP address...it just becomes useless in terms of DNS because it isn't a "registered".
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline gregor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 11:43:53 PM »
Dang laconas, I thought I got away from that MSM propaganda!  It makes me nauseated to hear the blatant lies they tell.  Just drawing my info from the I-net and non-traditional media gives me a more hopeful outlook.

But I do hear what you say about projection.  I sometimes think that you could use Israel and USA interchangably.  "The US sold sensitive information to China"  "Israel proposes extension of Patriot Act"  "US Knesset members laugh at Palestinian hunger strike"
To the web monitors:  You took an oath to the Constitution.  Why are you now subverting it?

Offline Proemio

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 05:31:07 AM »
Learning to decipher daily propaganda broadcasts known as the evening news is essential.

For example, if they say China is censoring the net, it means the US is censoring the net. If they say Iran has terror camps, it means the US has terror camps.

There is always some form of projection.
Hear, hear.
There are many well meant suggestions to avoid MSM news. I believe that to be a mistake, IF the 'news' are absorbed through an "awareness filter".

For example: the first question I ask myself about every news item is WHY did they pick this particular item among all know and unknown items possible.
Next, I look for the lie in the story - there always is one or more. Sometimes blatant, sometimes subtle.
Other times the lie is just habit, because objectively, the naked truth would have served them better - they seem insecure without a spin, LOL.

What's the point?
It gives great insight into what they are up to, and how they plan to go about it. Since quite often the crocked stories a trial ballons - to see what 'sells' - we get a headstart in countering/exposing the scam before it takes off.
Also, they inadvertently do allot of work for us. If they say white, we can be reasonably certain that whatever it is, is black, or at least anything but white, without having to do massive amounts of research - the projection thingy.

All information is useful, even disinformation. Disinformation probably more so, in what concerns us most...

Offline Eichmann

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 06:14:05 AM »
I was wondering with the upcoming war how the government would censor the net, I guess I have my answer.
Did I not tell you earlier that a Jew is such a noble, precious jewel that God and all the angels dance when he farts?

-Martin Luther (On the Jews and Their Lies)

Offline gregor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 11:10:58 AM »
Not my balliwick, I guess.  Hafta leave some of the analysis to people whose opinions have proven trustworthy.

That wise old American philosopher, Harry Callahan, once said:  A man's gotta know his limitations.

Sorting thru too much info gives me a headache.  I'd rather see the results of the analysts and then try to make conclusions out of them.

Offline HappyPant

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 11:41:18 AM »
After the LF experience, I have little hope for them keeping it all together.

Offline HappyPant

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 11:42:47 AM »
I think they'd sabotage it before they'd overtly censor it.  During the right kind of emergency or collapse, it'll just mysteriously stop working and it'll be impossible to tell why.  There won't be any formal announcement.  In fact, they might claim to be trying to fix it.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 12:26:16 PM »
I feel some chill coming on.................something out of my parents past where they could only converse by whispering to each other.
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".
...Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 12:32:47 PM »
Let's enjoy freedom of speech while we can.

Agreed.
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".
...Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with.

Offline Smokr

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Smokr's Lair
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 12:48:11 PM »
LOL
Looking for some company to take over the functions.
HALIBURTON or some other Cheney/adminmonkey controlled combine no doubt will 'be awarded' the 'contract'.

Offline HappyPant

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 12:56:18 PM »
LOL
Looking for some company to take over the functions.
HALIBURTON or some other Cheney/adminmonkey controlled combine no doubt will 'be awarded' the 'contract'.

True.  This may all be nothing more sinister than stealing a whole bunch of money.

Offline gregor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 01:00:55 PM »
True.  This may all be nothing more sinister than stealing a whole bunch of money.

But that's not the way to bet.  They've figured out how to get the sheep to lie down AND give them their money.

Offline HappyPant

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 01:01:56 PM »
But that's not the way to bet.  They've figured out how to get the sheep to lie down AND give them their money.

Quite true.  Often though, we get lucky and they only want the money.

Offline gregor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 01:29:33 PM »
Yeah, but if they hit the economy hard enough, as in depression, that money costs people their lives.

Offline Liberty_Burning

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 07:30:37 PM »
The entire human race must now make the choice between freedom or government.
The choice is being coerced by the same folks who have quite effectively brainwashed the choosers.
The human race is now probably fucked.
Situation normal.