Author Topic: Re: US contractor risks steep prison time for data leak  (Read 1735 times)

Offline mallard

• Commander
  • Coulda had a V-8
    • View Profile
Re: US contractor risks steep prison time for data leak
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
Re: Taipei Times (AP) 6/11/13
US contractor risks steep prison time for data leak
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2013/06/11/2003564499

Washington - The man who exposed two sweeping US surveillance programs and touched off a debate on privacy versus security has revealed his own identity. He risks decades in prison for the disclosures to reporters — if the US can extradite him from Hong Kong where he says he has taken refuge.

Edward Snowden, 29, who says he worked as a contractor at the National Security Agency (NSA) and the CIA, allowed the Guardian and the Washington Post newspapers to reveal his identity on Sunday.

Both papers have published a series of top-secret documents outlining two NSA surveillance programs. One gathers hundreds of millions of US telephone records while searching for possible links to known terrorist targets abroad, and the second allows the government to tap into nine US Internet companies to gather all Internet usage to detect suspicious behavior that begins overseas.

The revelations have reopened the post-Sept. 11, 2001, debate about individual privacy concerns versus heightened measures to protect the US against terrorist attacks. The NSA has asked the US Department of Justice to conduct a criminal investigation into the leaks.

US President Barack Obama said the programs are authorized by the US Congress and subject to strict supervision of a secret court, and US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper says they do not target US citizens.

However, Snowden says the programs are open to abuse.

“Any analyst at any time can target anyone. Any selector. Anywhere,” Snowden said in a video on the Guardian’s Web site. “I, sitting at my desk, had the authority to wiretap anyone, from you or your accountant to a federal judge to even the president if I had a personal e-mail.”

Some lawmakers have expressed similar concerns about the wide reach of the surveillance.

“I expect the government to protect my privacy. It feels like that isn’t what’s been happening,” said Democratic US Senator Mark Udall, a member of the US Senate Intelligence Committee.

Snowden says he was a former technical assistant for the CIA and a current employee of defense contractor Booz Allen Hamilton, which released a statement on Sunday confirming he had been a contractor with them in Hawaii for less than three months, and promising to work with investigators.

Snowden could face many years in prison for releasing classified information if he is extradited from Hong Kong, according to Mark Zaid, a national security lawyer who represents whistleblowers.

Hong Kong has an extradition treaty with the US that took force in 1998, according to the US Department of State Web site.

Interesting how he chose to come out openly.  Hong Kong will give him some months ... to find another place perhaps.  Again, the information is more valuable than the trumped-up 'violation'.  Why doesn't publication involve liability for the Washington Post?

"... Snowden says the programs are open to abuse."

Think of all those gnarly ADL geeks with their own access codes.

don't eat yellow snow

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
- Re: US contractor risks steep prison time for data leak
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 10:59:38 PM »

Interesting how he chose to come out openly.  Hong Kong will give him some months ... to find another place perhaps.  Again, the information is more valuable than the trumped-up 'violation'.  Why doesn't publication involve liability for the Washington Post?

"... Snowden says the programs are open to abuse."

Think of all those gnarly ADL geeks with their own access codes.

Avg doofus thinks "only guilty need fear surveillance" & forget about frequent gov't-organized crime collaboration.

Offline amalgamy

• Group Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »
Avg doofus thinks "only guilty need fear surveillance" & forget about frequent gov't-organized crime collaboration.

Al Franken Defends NSA Surveillance: It’s Not Spying, They’re Protecting Us

Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) emerged as one of the most notable progressive defenders of the National Security Agency's sweeping surveillance programs on Monday when he expressed a "high level of confidence" that the federal government's collection of phone and Internet data has been effective in thwarting terrorism.

“I can assure you, this is not about spying on the American people,” Franken told Minneapolis-based CBS affiliate WCCO. The junior Minnesota senator, who's only been in the Senate since 2009, said he was “was very well aware of" the surveillance programs and was not surprised by a recent slate of bombshell reports by both The Guardian and The Washington Post.

“I have a high level of confidence that this is used to protect us and I know that it has been successful in preventing terrorism,” Franken said.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:36:05 PM »
Al Franken Defends NSA Surveillance: It’s Not Spying, They’re Protecting Us

Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) emerged as one of the most notable progressive defenders of the National Security Agency's sweeping surveillance programs on Monday when he expressed a "high level of confidence" that the federal government's collection of phone and Internet data has been effective in thwarting terrorism.

“I can assure you, this is not about spying on the American people,” Franken told Minneapolis-based CBS affiliate WCCO. The junior Minnesota senator, who's only been in the Senate since 2009, said he was “was very well aware of" the surveillance programs and was not surprised by a recent slate of bombshell reports by both The Guardian and The Washington Post.

“I have a high level of confidence that this is used to protect us and I know that it has been successful in preventing terrorism,” Franken said.

Almost surprising.  Franken could trade on his popularity to make minor jabs vs Obama/Big Brother but plays the clown.  Senator gig not as harsh for Jew pets as for Gentiles.  Franken doesn't have to spend 3 hours a day cold-calling rich guys for campaign funds.  Saw Bernie Sanders on tv claiming to be upset with spying but even Jews' Designated Progressive obfuscates, he repeats Jew lies that Snowden revelations only about "phone records".

Super-shill Bill Maher also supports Obama/Big Bro, big surprise!

Offline mallard

• Commander
  • Coulda had a V-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:38:09 PM »
EB:

'Saw Bernie Sanders on tv claiming to be upset with spying but even Jews' Designated Progressive obfuscates, he repeats Jew lies that Snowden revelations only about "phone records".'

Wondering what Patrick Leahy has to say about the scandal ... coming out as it could only have been expected to.  He must have known about it before this public 'offering' c/o Snowden.
don't eat yellow snow

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 08:31:51 PM »
EB:

'Saw Bernie Sanders on tv claiming to be upset with spying but even Jews' Designated Progressive obfuscates, he repeats Jew lies that Snowden revelations only about "phone records".'

Wondering what Patrick Leahy has to say about the scandal ... coming out as it could only have been expected to.  He must have known about it before this public 'offering' c/o Snowden.

Leahy a busy guy, chair of Judiciary Committee, member of Appropriations subcommittees of Defense, Homeland Security & Justice.  RE the spying, right now he's play acting:  one of 8 senators "pushing" for FISA decisions to be made public.  Of course that will never happen as he well knows.

James Bamford writes about long history of NSA etc illegal spying.

Bamford, while better than nothing, is apparently limited-hangout disinfo.  He goes along with the BS that NSA only resumed spying on Americans after 9/11 after supposed long hiatus caused by 1975 Church hearings.  Apparently that point doesn't square with his previous books:  IIRC he had written (pre-9/11) about UK Menwith Hill spy site & noted that it was a collaboration with Brit intel & that technically legal since Brits were nominally in charge of the installation but that NSA had access to basically all their data.

Offline laconas

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 09:53:32 PM »
My phone bill has the minutes and time of every call I made and it's information available to the NSA through regulations that allows my carrier to be a carrier in the US.
Nobody censors what they agree with