Author Topic: Need Small Amount of Ammonium Nitrate? Fuhgeddaboutit!  (Read 1097 times)

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
Need Small Amount of Ammonium Nitrate? Fuhgeddaboutit!
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Ammonium nitrate used to be available at most hardware stores & garden centers, it's a concentrated fertilizer.  Was looking for small quantity to kickstart compost heap (OK it's not organic but running a strictly-organic compost pile is a bit difficult; getting right mix of ingredients often not practical).  So local garden center that has mostly experienced knowledgeable staff tried to help; apparently they were unaware ammonium nitrate no longer stocked.  They did mention the terrorism angle after looking thru available stock & finding none on hand.

I noted that the defacto ban on selling small quantities of the stuff was a bit absurd since US farmers use millions of tons annually.  The staff suggested some very expensive "compost starter" junk & were surprised to see the starter had no list of ingredients.  Could be dried chicken manure.

Looked on web, some older articles suggest Southern States co-op but turns out they no longer sell.  Adding to absurdity is that miners often use urea for blasting not ammonium nitrate; plus Boston bombs used black powder (still widely available & used in deadly pipe bombs too).  Ban on retailers selling AN is apparently a stealth move; I see no evidence of outright regulation.

So gov't is trying to put pressure against even farmers using AN though it has superior features vs urea or ammonium sulfate.

Offline OldTimes

• Major General
    • View Profile
- Need Small Amount of Ammonium Nitrate? Fuhgeddaboutit!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:14:38 PM »
There could also be a Monsanto factor to the equation.

All food growth must be controlled & licensed.

One thing I noticed is that crops in the USA are generally synthetically fertilized while crops in Latin America and elsewhere in the world are organically fertilized (i.e. manure).  Fruits and vegetables seem to be more natural and flavourful (nutritious) but at the same time will tend to alleviate any constipation problems one might have.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »
There could also be a Monsanto factor to the equation.

All food growth must be controlled & licensed.

One thing I noticed is that crops in the USA are generally synthetically fertilized while crops in Latin America and elsewhere in the world are organically fertilized (i.e. manure).  Fruits and vegetables seem to be more natural and flavourful (nutritious) but at the same time will tend to alleviate any constipation problems one might have.

Not sure why Monsanto would want to restrict the main chemical fertilizer since they seem to have no interest in promoting organic.  Germany & Ireland both banned sales of pure ammonium nitrate (even to farmers), mandating that lime must be mixed in.  More hassle for farmers since the lime affects pH.

While many countries use more % of organic fert than US I think that's only a partial reason why US produce sucks...Americans have deadened taste buds & willingly buy stuff that tastes like cardboard.  Even our non-organic produce could be grown to taste nicer but I guess farmers think "why bother" since it would cost more & wealthy consumers already have good organic produce available.  Fer instance I never buy pears 'cause in US they're like rocks.  Stopped at a produce market in Paris & bought some non-organic pears & they were tender & delicious: no waiting for days to "ripen".

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:36:48 AM »
They're painting themselves into a corner.  Small brains doing what they do best.  Next they'll want more regulations on table salt.
Nobody gets paid to tell the truth.