Author Topic: ‘Argo’ writer has no idea what he's talking about: Ex-Canada envoy  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
‘Argo’ writer has no idea what he's talking about: Ex-Canada envoy

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:53AM GMT
source: http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/02/17/289403/excanada-envoy-argo-got-it-all-wrong/

Former Canadian Ambassador to Iran Ken Taylor has heavily criticized the anti-Iran American film Argo, saying that the screenwriter has “no idea what he's talking about."

“The amusing side is the script writer (Chris Terrio) in Hollywood had no idea what he's talking about,” Taylor said during an audience with Ryerson University students in Toronto on Thursday, CBC reports.

Argo heads into the Oscars later this month as a nominee for best picture, with Terrio up for a best adapted screenplay Oscar.

The thriller directed by US filmmaker Ben Affleck is loosely based on the allegedly historical account by former CIA agent Tony Mendez about the rescue of six American diplomats during the takeover of the US Embassy in Tehran after Iran’s 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Taylor, whose role is played by Canadian actor Victor Garber in the movie, was Canada’s ambassador to Iran in 1979 when the alleged operation took place.

He criticized Argo for incorporating a myriad of creative liberties that included the "black and white" portrayal of Iranian people and fabricated scenes, adding that Argo “characterizes people in a way that isn't quite right.”

The former Canadian envoy argued that Argo didn't portray “a more conventional side,” and “a more hospitable side” of the Iranian society as well an “intent that they were looking for some degree of justice.”

The revolutionary Iranian university students who took over the US Embassy believed that the embassy had turned into a den of espionage which aimed to overthrow the nascent Islamic Republic establishment.

Political analysts say Argo unmasks the elaborate US scheme to employ every medium in its propaganda apparatus to incite Iranophobia across the globe.

Observers have further lashed out at the director of Argo for portraying a stereotyped and caricatured view of the Iranian society and noted that Affleck has consciously sought to ridicule the very customs and traditions of Iran.

In mid-January, Iran announced plans to mount a big cinematic project on the 1979 US embassy incident to give a true image of the historical event distorted in Argo.

Iranian filmmaker and actor Ataollah Salmanian is slated to represent the story as an appropriate response to Affleck’s blockbuster and ahistoric film.

The Iranian version titled The General Staff chronicles the story of the 20 American hostages who were delivered to the United States by Iran’s revolutionaries.
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
- ‘Argo’ writer has no idea what he's talking about: Ex-Canada envoy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »
Typical Hollywood propaganda filth!

Demonizing works. This reminds me of WW2 anti German propaganda, like: 'The Huns are coming!' :-\
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".
...Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with.

Offline Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
Typical Hollywood propaganda filth!

Demonizing works. This reminds me of WW2 anti German propaganda, like: 'The Huns are coming!' :-\

Years of practice. I won't watch this film or that other crap film about the Pakistani Osama. I would probably be swearing out loud at the screen.  >:(
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
Years of practice. I won't watch this film or that other crap film about the Pakistani Osama. I would probably be swearing out loud at the screen.  >:(

Indeed! Nor would I watch any of this stuff, just a waste of time and hard earned money.
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".

Offline laconas

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »
Indeed! Nor would I watch any of this stuff, just a waste of time and hard earned money.

Just don't say that in public. Only terrorists refuse to pay for their propaganda.
Nobody censors what they agree with

Offline burford

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:51:20 PM »
Well, here we go folks.

A couple friends asked if I'd seen it, and then said that it was about the takeover of the embassy. I just thought it would be little more than b-s propaganda and forgot about it, until reading this thread. So I went out to see it tonight, so that I could tell my friends what an inaccurate load of crap it is.

It just tells a story about rescuing 6 Americans who took refuge in the Canadian embassy and doesn't get into the politics of the day, although it does paint a not-so-pretty picture of the shah as leading up to the takeover. It demonized Iranians very little, and not nearly as much as I expected. Nor did it beat the anti-Iran war drum, which surprised the heck outa me. I was expecting to get as worked up as I did watching The Green Zone or Inside Job, but not even a twinge. Affleck just has a good sense of timing, that's all.

I'm inclined to believe what Mr Taylor said in the above article about artistic license and large chunks of pure fabrication, and I think I'm pretty attuned to Hollywood propaganda, but having said that, I actually thought it was a pretty good movie, and worth the $4 admission price.
If people are brainwashed, how would they know it?

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:40:49 PM »
Well, here we go folks.

A couple friends asked if I'd seen it, and then said that it was about the takeover of the embassy. I just thought it would be little more than b-s propaganda and forgot about it, until reading this thread. So I went out to see it tonight, so that I could tell my friends what an inaccurate load of crap it is.

It just tells a story about rescuing 6 Americans who took refuge in the Canadian embassy and doesn't get into the politics of the day, although it does paint a not-so-pretty picture of the shah as leading up to the takeover. It demonized Iranians very little, and not nearly as much as I expected. Nor did it beat the anti-Iran war drum, which surprised the heck outa me. I was expecting to get as worked up as I did watching The Green Zone or Inside Job, but not even a twinge. Affleck just has a good sense of timing, that's all.

I'm inclined to believe what Mr Taylor said in the above article about artistic license and large chunks of pure fabrication, and I think I'm pretty attuned to Hollywood propaganda, but having said that, I actually thought it was a pretty good movie, and worth the $4 admission price.

$4 admission?  Quite a bargain.  I haven't seen it but I think there's more than just "timing" involved.  Argo of course a heavily Jewish production.  Sometimes the best propaganda lays on a light touch.  JMSM has long vilified the Shah & portrayed the Muslim revolution as a popular movement.  They cover up inconvenient facts of MI6/CIA/BBC etc supporting loony Khomeini & his dupes.  Shah was on "West's" hit list because he was modernizing too much with education, nuclear energy etc.  Imperialists knew putting stupid fundies in charge would weaken Iran & also give an excuse for later anti-Iran hostility.

I remember well the latter days of Shah's reign where JMSM (as with 60 Minutes) pounded on the Shah for months on end with stories about SAVAK torture etc.  They virtually glorified Khomeini while he was in Paris exile & when he took over Iran, tv was full of jubilant Iranian masses.  Nobody (LOL) could predict the hostage situation that occurred a few months later.

Offline burford

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 07:58:59 AM »
$4 admission?  Quite a bargain.

The average TV show has more b-s propaganda that this movie does, IMO.

I remember well the latter days of Shah's reign where JMSM (as with 60 Minutes)...

I remember that too. I've recently also seen an old interview (maybe from 60 Minutes) where he comes out and blames zionist control of the media.
If people are brainwashed, how would they know it?

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:00:17 PM »
The average TV show has more b-s propaganda that this movie does, IMO.

True, I shouldn't bitch  ;)  --I watch NBC Nightly News which is nothing BUT propaganda.  IE last nite they had a report (inspired by the meteor story) about the dash-cams popular among Russian motorists.  They showed gruesome video clips of crashes & road-rage attacks & a short interview with professional Russia-hater CFR Jew Masha Lipman.  True that Russia road fatality rate is higher than US but the story fits with overall JMSM scheme of never saying anything positive about Russia.  & of course JMSM also cannot ever say anything positive about Germany & thus doesn't mention that Germany/Scandinavia/UK/Japan road deaths are less than half that of USA (which ranks near Uruguay).

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 09:53:46 AM »
Just don't say that in public. Only terrorists refuse to pay for their propaganda.

I would not dream of saying anything in public. You can't teach stupid.   

Offline Wulfgar

• First Lieutenant
  • Not willingly committed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 10:48:42 AM »
Total anti-Iran propaganda, esp. by winning the Academy Award.  Mossad still had links with Iranian intelligence, since it was an Israeli intermediary who facilitated the transfer of arms leading up to the Iran-Iraq War.  You know, the old "load up both sides" trick.  Too bad Hollywood doesn't make a movie about that.