Author Topic: US alarmed by 'cyber Pearl Harbor': Panetta  (Read 697 times)

Offline Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
US alarmed by 'cyber Pearl Harbor': Panetta
« on: October 12, 2012, 07:10:58 AM »
US alarmed by 'cyber Pearl Harbor': Panetta

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:15AM GMT
source: http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/10/12/266239/cyberattacks-on-pg-oil-firms-alarms-us/

US military chief Leon Panetta has warned of potential foreign cyber attacks against American infrastructures,
comparing such likely scenarios to “a pre-9/11 moment” and “a cyber-Pearl Harbor.”

US military chief Leon Panetta has warned of potential foreign cyber attacks against American infrastructures, comparing such likely scenarios to “a pre-9/11 moment” and “a cyber-Pearl Harbor.”

The remarks by the American defense secretary came at an address to business executives in New York Thursday night.

He revealed for the first time that cyber attacks on two major Persian Gulf state oil companies had wiped out crucial business data from “tens of thousands of computers” in August in an incident noted as “the most destructive cyber attack on the private sector to date,” The Washington Post reports Friday.

Panetta’s speech, which was aimed at alarming major American corporations of the rising threats in cyberspace, did not identify the source of the so-called “Shamoon virus,” but he made clear that the malware, which permanently disabled over 30,000 computers at the Saudi Arabian oil company Aramco and brought similar harm to computer systems at Qatari company Ras Gas, represented a “significant escalation of the cyberthreat.”

“This is a pre-9/11 moment,” said the Pentagon chief, pointing to missed signs prior to the 2001 terrorist incidents in New York and Washington DC. “The attackers are plotting.” He then pleaded to the US Congress and the private sector to join the government in improving the country’s defenses against a catastrophic cyber attack.

Emphasizing that the “most destructive attack” would be one launched against several critical systems at once in combination with a physical attack on the country, Panetta said, “The collective result could be a ‘cyber-Pearl Harbor’: an attack that would cause physical destruction and loss of life, paralyze and shock the nation, and create a profound new sense of vulnerability.”

Such attacks have “renewed concerns about still more destructive scenarios that could unfold” against the United States, he said. He asked business executives there to “imagine the impact an attack like this would have on your company.”

Nonetheless, the US government has engaged in its own cyber attacks against adversaries, although it has never admitted it publicly. Early into his administration, US President Barack Obama ordered sophisticated attacks on the computer systems that run Iran’s main nuclear enrichment plants, according to participants in the program, The New York Times reported in a Friday article on Panetta’s warnings against cyber attacks.

According to the daily, he then decided to accelerate the attacks, which had begun in the Bush administration and code-named Olympic Games, “even after an element of the program accidentally became public in the summer of 2010.”

Other Western press reports have underlined that the US cyber attack against Iranian nuclear energy facilities were a joint project also involving the Israeli regime and the German government.

Panetta’s remarks on the Middle East incidents, the Post article states, “were the first from any administration official acknowledging them.” In the Aramco attack, the virus replaced crucial system files “with an image of a burning US flag, he said, noting that it also overwrote the files with “garbage” data.

The two cyber-incidents have raised huge concerns within US national security agencies, with the military’s Cyber Command increasing the number of its personnel to monitor for the possibility of follow-on attacks.

“It’s clear a number of state actors have grown their cyber-capabilities in recent years,” said a senior defense official who was not authorized to speak for the record. “We’re concerned about Russia and China, and we’re concerned about growing Iranian capabilities as well.”

LW - Unplug Israel from the net. Problem solved.
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
- US alarmed by 'cyber Pearl Harbor': Panetta
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »
PH is code for upcoming false flag event.  The big question is what they have in store for the aftermath.
Nobody gets paid to tell the truth.

Offline Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »
PH is code for upcoming false flag event.  The big question is what they have in store for the aftermath.

His comment is rather telling to the informed.
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »
His comment is rather telling to the informed.

Perhaps but OTOH also trying to justify cyber-security, latest MIC growth sector.  They can spend all the $$ they want & it won't do any good with all sayanim, Israelis, Brits, other foreigners & private contractors scurrying around MIC hallways.  System relies on lame pre-employment security surveys & polygraph tests.  Polygraphs work great  :P -- once forced to take one after employee was stealing from business--tester claimed I my result was suspicious--actual perp (caught a couple months later) passed with flying colors.  She was a sweet likeable gal too.

Offline OldTimes

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:35:20 PM »
Sounds like whatever the scenario, it involves pulling the plug on the internet, or possibly financial data from all banking establishments, or something else just as critical.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »

Panetta mentions attack on Saudi/Qatari computers--both are London/Wall St puppets fully willing to engineer such false flags.

Panetta's speech has some weird highlights where he stresses to fellow jews that 'I hope you all realize I'm a crypto & don't fall for all the fake Obama Hates Israel Nonsense:

http://www.defense.gov/transcripts/transcript.aspx?transcriptid=5136

So I want to be very clear about where my loyalties lie in this contest, I have always been and always will be for the New York Yankees.

I lived with Chuck Schumer and a group of other members of Congress in what was well known as Animal House in Washington.  And you can't live with Schumer and not develop an appreciation for New York City.

I also served on the Board of the New York Stock Exchange for six years

I talked about my parents as immigrants.  And I used to ask my father why did he travel all of that distance to come to a strange land, leaving the comfort of family, it was a poor area in Italy, but why would you leave your comfort of family and travel all that distance to a strange land?  And my father said the reason he did it is because he and my mother believed that they could make more money give their children a better life.