Author Topic: Greetings from Roktoberfest!  (Read 3412 times)

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
Greetings from Roktoberfest!
« on: October 05, 2012, 12:33:03 AM »
Gem├╝tlichkeit y'all.  Munich Oktoberfest the place to be right now, superb beer, tasty food, fun music & all the cuties.  We're there in spirit if not in person.

Just don't wind up like this:

Offline OldTimes

• Major General
    • View Profile
- Greetings from Roktoberfest!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »
When I get rich, I'm flying every year to Germany in October...

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »

Only jews get rich in October, but luck to you.  I'll be in the beer tent that has the big blonde servers.
Nobody gets paid to tell the truth.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »
I hope y'all find a seat (that is if you can find a hotel-room). After your third beer, you won't even feel that sore butt from these wooden benches.
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".
...Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with.

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »
I hope y'all find a seat (that is if you can find a hotel-room). After your third beer, you won't even feel that sore butt from these wooden benches.

I'm German (paternally), but this isn't quite right.  Tables should be round, and a lot fewer ...to facilitate mingling.  Maybe this is my Italian part speaking.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
I'm German (paternally), but this isn't quite right.  Tables should be round, and a lot fewer ...to facilitate mingling.  Maybe this is my Italian part speaking.

I agree, you cannot beat round tables. But this annual ''October Fest'' is so popular, people put up with the discomfort they would not dream of otherwise. Look at those humongous beer mugs!

And, as we can see, no shortage of good looking women :P 
My husband said he would go for two reasons. ---------------------------------- ^^
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".
...Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »

Yeah it takes some $$ & a good bit of planning/organizing.  (Hope I didn't give the impression I'm posting from there, I woulda posted my own pics if so).  Oktoberfest so popular, reservations for the big tents have to made in advance & once you're there, you're sort of stuck at your table for the day AFAIK.  Obviously easier for the locals to arrange tickets, keep tables reserved etc.  But I've known a couple Americans who went & they say it was great fun & the German attendees are very friendly.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 07:22:29 PM »

Wonder if any FPers gone to the famous Kitchener/Waterloo Oktoberfest?  First saw that in "Bob & Doug McKenzie's" Strange Brew movie...but last year I researched it & it's a little weird:  not just one big place, different events at different locations.  Also I thought it would have been big enough deal to pay for real German bands but apparently that's not the case.

Richmond VA & Baltimore MD have pretty nice Oktoberfests; at Richmond you get a nice souvenir stein with admission.  DC area used to have one closer by at the former German Orphans' Home in Maryland.  All those pretty fun but of course not approaching stupendous scale of Munich.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »

German efficiency?  More mingling would be nice but I think most go with family or friends...chat with nearby folks etc.  BTW once read about a certain big tent that was notorious for having lots of Italian guys, many of whom congregated in high-traffic areas where they had ample opportunity to hit on German chicks.  Reportedly they sometimes became rather obnoxious.

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 05:47:50 AM »
German efficiency?  More mingling would be nice but I think most go with family or friends...chat with nearby folks etc.  BTW once read about a certain big tent that was notorious for having lots of Italian guys, many of whom congregated in high-traffic areas where they had ample opportunity to hit on German chicks.  Reportedly they sometimes became rather obnoxious.

Germans can appreciate Italian styling, just as Italians can disrupt German efficiency.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 06:19:44 PM »
Germans can appreciate Italian styling, just as Italians can disrupt German efficiency.

I remember Bread and Chocolate movie where the Italian immigrant to Switzerland gets busted for peeing in public,  ;D

Everyone loves flashy Ferraris & such.  Once read an essay by a German who whined about the unstylish German cars esp of the 60's/70's.  Myself I always like the boxy Bauhaus simplicity of those cars.  Knew a girl who was dating a guy who owned a BMW, she was talking about how nice it was esp with the fuzzy fleece seat covers he put on.  LOL, I didn't have time or heart to explain what an egregious violation of German motoring sensibilities this was.

Offline Vidarr

• Group Major
  • Is not Impressed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »

Everyone loves flashy Ferraris & such.  Once read an essay by a German who whined about the unstylish German cars esp of the 60's/70's.

excuse me  ?

1959 BMW

1953 Porsche

Mercedes 1963

Audi 1968
This banning system obviously needs some work..

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 08:37:52 PM »
excuse me  ?

Those are beauties for sure but mostly from 50's & also sports cars, not the more practical sedans/coupes favored by German motorists.  Not sure about details of the models you posted but AFAIK German makers (as well as sometimes US) used Italian design houses for sports cars.  Anyway German cars became popular in USA not for flashy looks but the solid engineering from VW to Mercedes/BMW...in late 60's & 70's even the German sports cars had the boxy style.  Now with Japanese pressure & a more ignorant world motoring public the Germans are forced to produce big swoopy cars to satisfy style-lovers who don't care about toting stuff & kids.    BTW As a tot I got to ride in a dealer-demo 300SL gullwing but unfortunately no memory!