Author Topic: When General Grant Tried to Expel The Jews  (Read 1832 times)

Offline WaltDisney

• Troll
  • General of the Army
    • View Profile
When General Grant Tried to Expel The Jews
« on: September 25, 2012, 06:40:56 PM »

I Saw this at the local book store in the religion section in Judaism....
Grant should receive the highest medal of honor for his initiative and patriotism.

When General Grant Expelled the Jews  Jeff Jacoby

May 14, 2012 Sign-Up IN DECEMBER 1862, from his military headquarters in Mississippi, Major General Ulysses S. Grant issued a directive expelling "Jews as a class" from the immense war zone known as the Department of the Tennessee. General Orders No. 11 was the most notorious anti-Jewish edict ever issued by an official of the US government, and it was overruled by the commander-in-chief -- President Abraham Lincoln -- as soon as he learned of it in Washington.

Notwithstanding its sweeping terms, the order turned out to have little immediate impact on the thousands of Jews living in the area under Grant's command. Only about 100 Jews were uprooted, primarily in northern Mississippi and in Paducah, Kentucky. Grant's expulsion order had no discernible effect on the war or on his own military career, either. Lincoln later promoted him to lieutenant general -- a rank previously held only by George Washington -- and named him commander of all Union armies. Grant became a national hero, and was twice elected president.

And yet General Orders No. 11 proved to be far more than merely an interesting footnote to the Civil War. As Jonathan D. Sarna recounts in When General Grant Expelled the Jews, his engaging and splendidly researched new book, the ugly episode reverberated for decades. The expulsion order galvanized American Jewish politics and played a prominent role when Grant ran for the White House in 1868. "The issue thrust Jews, for the first time in American history, into the center of the political maelstrom," writes Sarna, Brandeis University's distinguished historian of Jewish life in America.

More striking by far was the order's long-term effect on Grant himself. He came to deeply regret what he had done, and went to great lengths to make amends -- so much so that the eight years of the Grant administration would prove to be the first golden age for American Jewry. As president, Grant appointed more Jews to public office than any of his predecessors and displayed remarkable sensitivity to the plight of persecuted Jews abroad. At his death in 1885, Grant was fervently mourned in the nation's synagogues. "Seldom before," one Jewish newspaper remarked at the time, "has the Kaddish been repeated so universally for a non-Jew as in this case."

Ulysses Grant, a hero of the Jews? Nowadays -- when the 18th president is caricatured as a corrupt and brutal drunkard, and when his entry in the Encyclopaedia Judaica begins by noting that "Grant's name has been linked irrevocably with anti-Jewish prejudice" -- such a characterization might strike many as startling. In the 1860s it would have been flatly unthinkable. To the nation's tiny Jewish minority -- Jews were then about 0.5 percent of the American public -- General Orders No. 11 echoed some of the most tragic episodes in Jewish history, when "Jews as a class" were expelled en masse from lands where they had lived for generations. Grant was "compared, in some Jewish circles, to historic enemies of the Jewish people," Sarna writes -- especially to Haman, the villain of the Book of Esther, who schemed to destroy the Jews, only to be destroyed himself when the king overturned his plans.

Yet the expulsion order had less to do with anti-Semitic hostility than with Grant's seething frustration at the smugglers and profiteers who were undercutting Union efforts to suppress the black market in Southern cotton. Some of the speculators were certainly Jews -- enough so to feed a popular stereotype that "Israelites" were the worst offenders. Upon learning that his own father had teamed up with three Jewish traders from Cincinnati in a scheme to procure cotton at a discount, the general lashed out in anger, and issued the order expelling all Jews "within twenty-four hours from the receipt of this order."

Resistance to Grant's directive sprang up at once. When Cesar Kaskel of Paducah, a Jewish businessman and avid supporter of Lincoln and the Union, was handed a copy of the "scarcely-to-be-believed order," he set off for Washington as quickly as possible, hoping to get the order rescinded by the president. He wasn't the only one. "Deputations of Jews are arriving here to solicit the President to countermand or modify the order of Gen. Grant excluding Israelites from his lines," the New York Tribune reported from the capital. Jews elsewhere lobbied in the court of public opinion. The Missouri lodges of B'nai B'rith publicly petitioned Lincoln "to protect the liberties even of your humblest constituents," who had been "driven from their homes, deprived of their liberty, and injured in their property without having violated any law or regulation."

Lincoln acted with gratifying speed. Learning from Kaskel of General Orders No. 11 on January 3 -- two days, it so happened, after the Emancipation Proclamation took effect -- he immediately revoked it. In one account, probably apocryphal, the president invoked biblical language in his meeting with Kaskel:

"I hardly exaggerate. Jewish life consists of two elements: Extracting money and protesting."
-Nahum Goldmann, Ex-President of the World Jewish Congress

Offline jacob gold

• Troll
  • General of the Army
    • View Profile
- When General Grant Tried to Expel The Jews
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
General Grant and General Patton were both monsters. Patton paid dearly, as he should have.

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:12:46 PM »
General Grant and General Patton were both monsters. Patton paid dearly, as he should have.

Grant was slandered, diagnosed with throat cancer, and died penniless at a young age.
Nobody gets paid to tell the truth.

Offline OldTimes

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »

So why did the jews put him on the $50 bill?  for that matter, why Andrew Jackson on the $20 when he killed the first central bank?

I guess they really don't care who the gentiles' heroes are, so long as they continue to control the money supply.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »
I Saw this at the local book store in the religion section in Judaism....
Grant should receive the highest medal of honor for his initiative and patriotism.

Listened to C-Span radio show this week about annual DC book fair.  Some Presidential historians discussing things including David & Julie Eisenhower...David related a story (IIRC) of a party where he chatted with Chuck Robb (former US Senator from VA & governor) who stoutly defended Grant & claimed that as time went on the MSM-contrived image of Grant being a ~hapless drunk doofus would be superceded by the truth.  David & Julie were interested in that topic since MSM used to portray President Eisenhower as an aged golf-playing place-marker.

OK, Sushi has posted about Eisenhower's post-WWII crimes against Germany, fair enough...but OTOH Eisenhower was the last President to oppose UK/Israeli zionist aggression in the Suez Crisis.

Offline WaltDisney

• Troll
  • General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 04:25:46 AM »
So why did the jews put him on the $50 bill?  for that matter, why Andrew Jackson on the $20 when he killed the first central bank?

I guess they really don't care who the gentiles' heroes are, so long as they continue to control the money supply.

Grant 'came around' with a change of heart to Jewry, and realized his 'errors' of persecuting them, and threats to his bank account, his reputation, and his life ....and so did a 180.

Jackson was a mock and a  taunt in our face with his mug on our $20....another great man hated by J E W Banksters.

Personally, like JG, I think J E Ws are great with money, and should handle all of our finances, if we cant trust them to be honest in their dealings with Our money, who can we trust?  Madoff got a bad rap.
Bless these fine people..
"I hardly exaggerate. Jewish life consists of two elements: Extracting money and protesting."
-Nahum Goldmann, Ex-President of the World Jewish Congress

Offline jacob gold

• Troll
  • General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »
Personally, like JG, I think J E Ws are great with money, and should handle all of our finances, if we cant trust them to be honest in their dealings with Our money, who can we trust?  Madoff got a bad rap.
Bless these fine people..

My people, the Jews, are gifted. Madoff only hurt other Jews (Holocaust charities).

You antisemites are jealous. Just yesterday I went to dinner at Outback Steakhouse, got a $30 filet, but found a fly in the mash potatoes. Naturally I demanded three free dinners. The manager picked out the fly, and said it was rubber. He then said "Just another kike trick" - then he threw me out.

I didn't deserve that

Offline OldTimes

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 04:27:59 PM »
You antisemites are jealous. Just yesterday I went to dinner at Outback Steakhouse, got a $30 filet, but found a fly in the mash potatoes. Naturally I demanded three free dinners. The manager picked out the fly, and said it was rubber. He then said "Just another kike trick" - then he threw me out.

I didn't deserve that

How is it these places are all over southern Florida if they aren't turning a profit, though?

Offline jacob gold

• Troll
  • General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »
How is it these places are all over southern Florida if they aren't turning a profit, though?

I live in the most jewy-jew area in Fl  --- Getting a bagel in the morning is like going to the zoo --- they really are a handsome race

Offline dominique

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
I live in the most jewy-jew area in Fl  ---

Boca Raton, right? So, which synagogue do you attend, shill?
"Divert, distort, denigrate, disrupt or destroy any discussion of the corruption of American liberty by the organized lobby of a foreign power."  ~ WindRiverShoshoni

Offline jacob gold

• Troll
  • General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »
Boca Raton, right? So, which synagogue do you attend, shill?

Temple Beth Stool is my synagogue  - Rabbi Pincus Bladderman