Author Topic: New pope, Jorge Mario Bergogli of Argentina, has Jewish connections  (Read 3175 times)

Offline dominique

• Major General
    • View Profile
New pope, Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina, has Jewish connections

March 13, 2013

(JTA) – Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the Argentinian cardinal who was elected pope and will take the name Francis, is said to have a good relationship with Argentinian Jews.

Bergoglio, 76, a Jesuit, was the choice of the College of Cardinals on Wednesday following two days of voting in Vatican City. He is the first pope to come from outside Europe in more than a millennium; reflecting the changing demographics of Catholics, he comes from Latin America.

As archbishop of Buenos Aires, Bergoglio attended Rosh Hashanah services at the Benei Tikva Slijot synagogue in September 2007.

Rabbi David Rosen, the director of interfaith affairs for the American Jewish Committee, told JTA that the new pope is a "warm and sweet and modest man" known in Buenos Aires for doing his own cooking and personally answering his phone.

After the bombing of the AMIA Jewish community center in 1994, he "showed solidarity with the Jewish community," Rosen said.

In 2005, Bergoglio was the first public personality to sign a petition for justice in the AMIA bombing case. He also was one of the signatories on a document called "85 victims, 85 signatures" as part of the bombing's 11th anniversary. In June 2010, he visited the rebuilt AMIA building to talk with Jewish leaders.

"Those who said Benedict was the last pope who would be a pope that lived through the Shoah, or that said there would not be another pope who had a personal connection to the Jewish people, they were wrong," Rosen said.

Soon after the chimney of the Sistine Chapel sent up a puff of white smoke signifying that the cardinals had selected a successor to Pope Benedict XVI, Francis addressed thousands of faithful from the balcony of St. Peter’s Baslica.

“Buonasera,” he told them, saying "Good evening" in Italian, and thanked his fellow cardinals for going “almost to the ends of the earth” to find him.

Benedict was the first pontiff to step down since 1415.

Israel Singer, the former head of the World Jewish Congress, said he spent time working with Bergoglio when the two were distributing aid to the poor in Buenos Aires in the early 2000s, part of a joint Jewish-Catholic program called Tzedaka.

“We went out to the barrios where Jews and Catholics were suffering together,” Singer told JTA. “If everyone sat in chairs with handles, he would sit in the one without. He was always looking to be more modest. He's going to find it hard to wear all these uniforms.”

Bergoglio also wrote the foreward of a book by Rabbi Sergio Bergman, a Buenos Aires legislator, and referred to him as “one of my teachers.”

Last November, Bergoglio hosted a Kristallnacht memorial event at the Buenos Aires Metropolitan Cathedral with Rabbi Alejandro Avruj from the NCI-Emanuel World Masorti congregation.

He also has worked with the Latin American Jewish Congress and held meetings with Jewish youth who participate in its New Generations program.

“The Latin American Jewish Congress has had a close relationship with Jorge Bergoglio for several years," Claudio Epelman, executive director of the Latin American Jewish Congress, told JTA. "We know his values and strengths. We have no doubt he will do a great job leading the Catholic Church."

In his visit to the Buenos Aires synagogue, according to the Catholic Zenit news agency, Bergoglio told the congregation that he was there to examine his heart "like a pilgrim, together with you, my elder brothers."

"Today, here in this synagogue, we are made newly aware of the fact that we are a people on a journey and we place ourselves in God’s presence," Zenit quoted the then-archbishop as saying. "We must look at him and let him look at us, to examine our heart in his presence and to ask ourselves if we are walking blamelessly."

Renzo Gattegna, the president of the Union of Italian Jewish Communities, offered Italian Jewry's congratulations to the new pope with the “most fervent wishes” that his pontificate could bring “peace and brotherhood to all humanity.”

In particular, Gattegna voiced the hope that there would be a continuation “with reciprocal satisfaction” of “the intense course of dialogue that the Jews have always hoped for and that has been also realized through the work of the popes who have led the church in the recent past."

http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/03/13/3121966/new-pope-francis-i-is-argentinian-cardinal-jorge-maria-bergoglio

“We went out to the barrios where Jews and Catholics were suffering together,” Singer told JTA. “If everyone sat in chairs with handles, he would sit in the one without. He was always looking to be more modest. He's going to find it hard to wear all these uniforms.”

"Poor" jews? Yeah, right.
"Divert, distort, denigrate, disrupt or destroy any discussion of the corruption of American liberty by the organized lobby of a foreign power."  ~ WindRiverShoshoni

Offline Germanic American Fox

• First Sergeant
  • Neither a citizen nor subject be.
    • View Profile
- New pope, Jorge Mario Bergogli of Argentina, has Jewish connections
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:04:29 AM »
They even help elect the Pope! WTF how they be oppressed!
If the Jews are all innocent and saintly then that would be as big an anomaly among humans as if they were all plotting and scheming towards world domination!

An “anti-semite” in actual usage, is less often a man who hates Jews then a man certain Jews hate.  Joseph Sobran

Online Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »

...and I thought the yarmulka the pope wears was evidence enough of who runs the vatican.
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline lurgis

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Pope pledges good relations with Jews
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
Wow hasn't even been Pope for 24 hours and already bowing down to his jew masters:

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis reached out on Thursday to Rome's Jewish community, saying he hoped he would be able to contribute to furthering good relations between Catholics and Jews.

The new pope sent a message to Rome's chief rabbi, Riccardo Di Segni, inviting him to his inaugural Mass at the Vatican on March 19.

"I sincerely hope to be able to contribute to the progress that relations between Jews and Catholics have enjoyed since the Second Vatican Council," he said, according to a statement on Vatican Radio.

Francis said he hoped to be able to contribute to "a spirit of renewed collaboration".

Relations between Catholics and Jews improved greatly after the 1962-1965 Second Vatican Council, which issued a landmark statement repudiating the concept of collective Jewish guilt for Jesus's death and urged dialogue with all religions.

Both of Francis's immediate predecessors, Benedict XVI and John Paul II, visited Rome's main synagogue.

The Rome Jewish community is the oldest in the diaspora and plays a guiding role in Catholic-Jewish relations worldwide.

World Jewish organisations welcomed the election of Francis, who maintained good relations with the Argentine Jewish community when he was archbishop of Buenos Aires.

"There is much in his record that reassures us about the future," said Abe Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League in the United States.

In 2010, the future pope published a book on inter-faith dialogue together with Argentine Rabbi Abraham Skorka.

In Israel, the Chief Rabbinate of the Jewish state said Francis's past "good relations with the Jewish people are well known" and was confident his pontificate would develop them further. (Reporting By Philip Pullella; additional reporting by Ari Rabinovitch in Jerusalem; Editing by Michael Roddy)

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-pledges-good-relations-jews-213207842.html

Offline laconas

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 06:16:22 PM »
Torquemada is rolling in his grave.
Nobody censors what they agree with

Offline OldTimes

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »
I guess I was wrong about the new Pope being the negro from Ghana.

The Malachi prophecy says the last reigning Pope will be "Peter the Roman", and also a "black Pope".  The negro from Ghana was named Peter so many people thought he'd be the next Pope, but I started having doubts when I saw "the Roman" part.

This Pope's parents are Italian so maybe there's some connection to that after all...  don't know what the rest could mean, if it means anything at all.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:52 PM »

March 13, 2013

(JTA) – Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the Argentinian cardinal who was elected pope and will take the name Francis, is said to have a good relationship with Argentinian Jews.

Argentina has a fair helping of Jews; I don't necessarily blame Bergie for trying to maintain good relations but IMO attending temple services is a step too far & in general seems to overdo the chumminess.  The Jesuit angle is intriguing since he's the 1st Jesuit pope:

WashPost points out weird contradiction of Jesuits not supposed to seek higher office; Jesuit support of Liberation Theology etc.  See http://www.google.com/search?BtnSrch=Search&q=jesuit+loyola&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&as_q=site%3Awww.larouchepub.com for many articles detailing Jesuits working for various Bad Guys including, but not limited to, Soviets, Israelis & oligarchical networks.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »
Look at the last pope at the Wailing Wall, nothing new. (What a farce!)

"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".
...Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »
Look at the last pope at the Wailing Wall, nothing new. (What a farce!)

Well Jews go to the National Cathedral for big-shot funerals.  I'm no theologian so I don't know the exact dividing line between 'friendly gestures' & endorsing the wrong religion.  Popes could take a hard-line anti-Jew stance but not sure of the benefit to the Church 'cause you're damned if ya do & damned if ya don't (as with Pius XII & now Jews are retreading that idea with Bergogli supposedly being an apologist for Argentine junta).  Just yesterday I was chatting with a couple friends (non-Catholic) & they mentioned the sex-abuse scandals:  I told 'em that Catholic abuse was not at a higher rate than other religions & professions (ie Prots, teachers, Scout leaders) & they were extremely skeptical until I showed 'em a WashPost article. 

Offline lurgis

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 06:38:23 AM »
At least Benny already had a yarmulke on hand, which as another commenter has already pointed out elsewhere, that this is all the evidence you need to understand who rules your rulers.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 10:13:28 PM »
At least Benny already had a yarmulke on hand, which as another commenter has already pointed out elsewhere, that this is all the evidence you need to understand who rules your rulers.

Caps & hats have been extremely common in history in many cultures.  Zucchetto has been worn by Catholic clergy for hundreds of years.  Origin of minimalist kippah/yarmulke for Jews is unclear.  Wiki article on "Jewish Hat" notes a variety of styles & that in Medieval times a larger pointed hat was customary.

AFAIK in Medieval Age headwear was near-universal among Europeans; going bare-headed was shameful.  Wasn't long ago that respectable American men wouldn't dream of going outdoors without a hat, & women wore hats/scarves often too esp on formal occasions like church.

One Jew even has a site, "Lids for Yids" LOL.  Alas, like so many Jewish sites it's selling stuff & of little use for historical/religious info.

Offline OldTimes

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »
Caps & hats have been extremely common in history in many cultures.  Zucchetto has been worn by Catholic clergy for hundreds of years.  Origin of minimalist kippah/yarmulke for Jews is unclear.

Isn't it obvious?
These rebbe's felt they had to cover their bald spot.

I agree the connection with the Catholic zucchetto isn't convincing.  Not the "proof positive" the Judens run the church (though they do) that a Catholic might need.

Online Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »
I agree the connection with the Catholic zucchetto isn't convincing.  Not the "proof positive" the Judens run the church (though they do) that a Catholic might need.

No, not conclusive. Only I have to ask - if you're looking for a hat to symbolize one's faith why go to a jewish millinery for the design?
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »
No, not conclusive. Only I have to ask - if you're looking for a hat to symbolize one's faith why go to a jewish millinery for the design?

But from what I read there's no evidence that Catholics copied the skull-cap from Jews & the reverse might actually be true, ie current style yarmulke was Jews doing the minimum to keep to law about covering head w/o being too blatantly different. 

Offline dominique

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 12:45:31 PM »
Torquemada is rolling in his grave.

Torquemada, who himself was the spawn of marranos?
"Divert, distort, denigrate, disrupt or destroy any discussion of the corruption of American liberty by the organized lobby of a foreign power."  ~ WindRiverShoshoni

Offline dominique

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »

Shriners wear fezes, and that has exactly what to do with Ottomans and/or Muslims?