Author Topic: Espresso by Nespresso  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Iron Webmaster

• Master Chief
    • View Profile
    • Giwer's World
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 11:50:20 PM »
Thank you, interesting website, good choices. I have signed up, but I don't know if they ship to Canada. My search for "Sumatran Blue Batak" produced 0 results.

It is only available three of four times a year. There isn't enough produced to have it available year around. There will be an email saying order now for next Wednesday's roast and it ships on Thursday. It doesn't last much more than a month unopened which limits me to three pounds.

To repeat, I am just saying I like it. It is not better than any other just unusual. The price is like most of the special offerings. Try it before jumping in. It may not be to your taste.
1.9 GB of pure vanity

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back.
That is all you need to know about the conflict. All the rest is distraction.
See the new biopic, Jesus Christ: Lust for Glory!

Offline BigT

• Master Chief
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 06:22:24 AM »
The only way to get perfect results is with freshly ground Arabica Beans. That is if you are a connoisseur.
Probably the best consistent coffee I've come across, and anything from Kenya seems to always be my favorite.  I've had Saeco and now a Gaggia aotu espresso machines.  I most often use Batdorf and Bronson, as they sell at a local Dancing Goats shop.

Offline BigT

• Master Chief
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 06:28:24 AM »
http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/  Sorry didn't link correctly.
http://www.batdorfcoffee.com/
Got my machines here: http://wholelattelove.com/
My first was a Saeco refurb for $249, great deal.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »
Probably the best consistent coffee I've come across, and anything from  seems to always be my favorite.  I've had Saeco and now a Gaggia aotu espresso machines.  I most often use Batdorf and Bronson, as they sell at a local Dancing Goats shop.

Kenyan coffee is great!!! I might try the sampler:

http://www.peets.com/shop/coffee_africa.asp

African Sampler - Three Pound Sampler $49.95

This special sampler brings together three offerings from East Africa. At their finest, the coffees of East Africa are in a category of their own. They are uniquely aromatic, with silky, syrupy textures. This coffee journey comes with one pound each: Uzuri African Blend, Kenya Auction Lot and Ethiopian Fancy.

Uzuri African Blend: This blend represents a journey of small scale farmers improving their lives through coffee quality, culminating in a malty sweet East African blend with a medley of dark berry notes. Uzuri Blend is designed expressly to support the efforts of African farm families to improve the quality of their coffee, and thereby the quality of their lives. Join us in celebrating their amazing accomplishments.

Kenya Auction Lot: The most aromatic of any coffee, these beans brew a lively cup with complex flavors hinting of citrus and blackberry.

Ethiopian Fancy: From the birthplace of coffee, Ethiopian Fancy is a tangy, pungent brew with a lingering floral aroma.

I'm still thinking about it, even if I only do it only once, for my birthday...

"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".
...Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with.

Offline Iron Webmaster

• Master Chief
    • View Profile
    • Giwer's World
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »
Kenyan coffee is great!!! I might try the sampler:

http://www.peets.com/shop/coffee_africa.asp

Kenya Auction Lot: The most aromatic of any coffee, these beans brew a lively cup with complex flavors hinting of citrus and blackberry.

Of the three this is the only one I have tried. Quite good.
1.9 GB of pure vanity

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 06:32:04 AM »
It is only available three of four times a year. There isn't enough produced to have it available year around. There will be an email saying order now for next Wednesday's roast and it ships on Thursday. It doesn't last much more than a month unopened which limits me to three pounds.

To repeat, I am just saying I like it. It is not better than any other just unusual. The price is like most of the special offerings. Try it before jumping in. It may not be to your taste.

OK, I see what you mean. The first order is a free shipment, so I shall wait until they have the brand you speak of, if you see it and remember, let me know please. My favorite has always been Kenyan coffee, but I am not afraid to try something new.
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 06:56:15 AM »
http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/  Sorry didn't link correctly.
http://www.batdorfcoffee.com/
Got my machines here: http://wholelattelove.com/
My first was a Saeco refurb for $249, great deal.

Thank you for the information, Big T.

Yesterday I was looking around for a cappuccino machine to see what is on the market. Here, in Canuckistan there are a few good brands to choose from, yours among them. I will also check out some coffee suppliers in Vancouver. It makes everything so much easier of course to shop on this side of the border. I have the time. First this new house has to be finished, the rainy weather has delayed things by 3 months.

Offline BigT

• Master Chief
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:52 AM »
You're welcome, so far the Gaggia is ok, but I think that the Saeco, even as a refurb, was a bit better.  It offered an option for pre-ground coffee and the Gaggia doesn't, which is a problem.  Funny thing, the innards, which they call the "brew group" I think, are virtually identical.  Its a removable single piece that actually tamps the grounds and holds it for extraction.  That manufacturer owns the market.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »
You're welcome, so far the Gaggia is ok, but I think that the Saeco, even as a refurb, was a bit better.  It offered an option for pre-ground coffee and the Gaggia doesn't, which is a problem.  Funny thing, the innards, which they call the "brew group" I think, are virtually identical.  Its a removable single piece that actually tamps the grounds and holds it for extraction.  That manufacturer owns the market.

Here is the one I would like. I used the same company for my commercial cappuccino machine. This is a great machine, what adds up however are the other 'essentials'.

Offline Iron Webmaster

• Master Chief
    • View Profile
    • Giwer's World
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 02:36:02 AM »
OK, I see what you mean. The first order is a free shipment, so I shall wait until they have the brand you speak of, if you see it and remember, let me know please. My favorite has always been Kenyan coffee, but I am not afraid to try something new.

What I suggest will also be new to you and quite different from anything from Kenya, different soil and climate and bean processing. I would suggest if you like coffees from Kenya try their Kenya offerings before branching out. It should be a clean way to see if they sell something better than what you already like to be worth the extra cost. If they don't then save your money. Kenyan coffee will give you the easiest comparison for quality you are going to find because you are familiar with the regional offerings.

I really do not see why would do anything else. Even look for one of their year round offerings from Kenya as a good place to start.

What I found when I started was something more interesting than hot and bitter. The other tastes were not just there but dominated the bitter which was much less. Coffee was interesting and much more like the tastes in the expensive restaurants. (I was gov, contractors paid.;) And for only a 50% increase in my coffee costs it was great.

So want you first need to do is see if you do in fact like the difference. Then do you like it enough for the extra cost -- which really isn't all that much. For me a whole $8/month. You appear to back off at $50 for 3lbs. How long will that last and how much will what it replaces cost? A pound lasts me roughly three weeks. Two of you, 3lbs, 4.5 weeks. So how much do you spend a month on coffee now?
1.9 GB of pure vanity

Offline Iron Webmaster

• Master Chief
    • View Profile
    • Giwer's World
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 02:45:53 AM »

BTW: I saved your recommendations in case this Nespresso thing addicts me to espresso. So far three shots v 12 oz means my bladder loves the difference. I have found only one blend I really like from the company.

1.9 GB of pure vanity

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 09:07:48 AM »
So what you first need to do is see if you do in fact like the difference. Then do you like it enough for the extra cost -- which really isn't all that much. For me a whole $8/month.

Yes indeed.

The extra cost for a quality product does not bother that much simply because I/we do enjoy it. Currently we drink what parades as ''Cafe' Arabica'' ~ 100% gourmet. That is all fine but it does not compare with what I served at my little Cafe'. So, I know that there is better quality out there ~ somewhere. :)

You appear to back off at $50 for 3lbs. How long will that last and how much will what it replaces cost? A pound lasts me roughly three weeks. Two of you, 3lbs, 4.5 weeks. So how much do you spend a month on coffee now?

Oh no, not at all. We go through almost 2KG per month (including frequent company). Roughly $20.00 or so per month.

However, we will be moving, hopefully by August 1. This has been a horrible time of year to build a new house, rain-rain-rain. Whence we are settled then I will order my favorite brew ~ Kenyan coffee! I will also try the one you recommended when in stock. 

Offline Iron Webmaster

• Master Chief
    • View Profile
    • Giwer's World
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 05:34:18 AM »
Yes indeed.

The extra cost for a quality product does not bother that much simply because I/we do enjoy it. Currently we drink what parades as ''Cafe' Arabica'' ~ 100% gourmet. That is all fine but it does not compare with what I served at my little Cafe'. So, I know that there is better quality out there ~ somewhere. :)

The first fun fact about coffee in the US is there are no standards. Anything can be called Arabica.

The second fun fact is that Robustas are produced at many times the amount of Arabica. Noting no coffee company sells robusta raised an obvious question.

Oh no, not at all. We go through almost 2KG per month (including frequent company). Roughly $20.00 or so per month.

$10/kg is not Arabica. In fact that is cheap for Robusta. Like Wonder Bread all the taste is in the roasting not in the bean. Hot and bitter with a caffeine kick. With my one experiment with a Starbuck blend I knew instantly what that meant because that is all it was.

The problem is it is just a matter of time before the larger market catches on to real Arabicas like they did with California wines and then the cost goes through the roof.

However, we will be moving, hopefully by August 1. This has been a horrible time of year to build a new house, rain-rain-rain. Whence we are settled then I will order my favorite brew ~ Kenyan coffee! I will also try the one you recommended when in stock.

I have tried one offering from the Canadian company Kicking Horse called 454. I found about zero in the flavor and aroma categories but I couldn't call it bland either.
1.9 GB of pure vanity

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 07:25:05 AM »
The first fun fact about coffee in the US is there are no standards. Anything can be called Arabica.

The second fun fact is that Robustas are produced at many times the amount of Arabica. Noting no coffee company sells robusta raised an obvious question.

$10/kg is not Arabica. In fact that is cheap for Robusta. Like Wonder Bread all the taste is in the roasting not in the bean. Hot and bitter with a caffeine kick. With my one experiment with a Starbuck blend I knew instantly what that meant because that is all it was.

The problem is it is just a matter of time before the larger market catches on to real Arabicas like they did with California wines and then the cost goes through the roof.

I have tried one offering from the Canadian company Kicking Horse called 454. I found about zero in the flavor and aroma categories but I couldn't call it bland either.

I'm in agreement with all of the above. My first cup of coffee, way back when in Montreal, Canada (late 1950's) was tasteless. My first cup in the US was no scream either.

Kicking Horse is a joke run by a couple of the clever 'chosen' kind, with good advertising skills. I've met them!

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
I'm in agreement with all of the above. My first cup of coffee, way back when in Montreal, Canada (late 1950's) was tasteless. My first cup in the US was no scream either.

Kicking Horse is a joke run by a couple of the clever 'chosen' kind, with good advertising skills. I've met them!

My first coffee in Mexico was interesting, black & strong, perhaps not "gourmet" but not bad, had more personality than std US brew of that ancient time.  First Dutch coffee was in a cool Dutch pancake house, I thought it was great, really went well with the food.  The pancake restaurant was a lucky find itself, good filling food, patronized by Dutch working class mostly, they didn't even speak English which is pretty rare there.  So maybe the "set & setting" plays a big part.

Kinda disturbing that apparently "Arabica" is often mislabelled.  Well I'm just waiting for the new foodie trend extolling gourmet Robustas!

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »
My first coffee in Mexico was interesting, black & strong, perhaps not "gourmet" but not bad, had more personality than std US brew of that ancient time.  First Dutch coffee was in a cool Dutch pancake house, I thought it was great, really went well with the food.  The pancake restaurant was a lucky find itself, good filling food, patronized by Dutch working class mostly, they didn't even speak English which is pretty rare there.  So maybe the "set & setting" plays a big part.

Kinda disturbing that apparently "Arabica" is often mislabelled.  Well I'm just waiting for the new foodie trend extolling gourmet Robustas!

Unfortunately they don't care as long as the product sells, honesty is not their strong suit.

I've never been in Mexico, but my husband and his photographer buddy went there. We, the wives, happily took off to Hawaii instead and damn near drowned. Overcoming that little shock, we decided to just do a little hiking and go shopping on Kalakaua Ave., looking for Kona Coffee and other goodies close to the International Market Place. It was fun.

This was long before all the heavy duty security and groping at the airport and people could still smile...

Offline Iron Webmaster

• Master Chief
    • View Profile
    • Giwer's World
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »

And they complain when we say they are con artists?
1.9 GB of pure vanity

Offline Iron Webmaster

• Master Chief
    • View Profile
    • Giwer's World
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »

If you like hot and bitter to wake you up in the morning it is not that hard.

Get a drip coffee maker and drip grind coffee. MEASURE two level tablespoons per 5 ounces. Do not do the hit and miss heaping TBL without measuring the water. Seriously many coffees can be much better by measuring. Not all that fussy critical like espresso but for most coffees I go to 5 TBL for my standard water measure of roughly 12 oz. That means measure it at first and then figure an easy way to do it. I mean I use my 12 oz size coffee cup to measure the water and move the grinder up one more notch when a coffee needs more than 4 tbl for 12 ounces.

Notice here even with defining the size of the cup. It matters as there are not standards. A cup of coffee can be either 4.5, 5 or 6 oz. Two TBL per 4.5 is obviously different from per 6. 

Your taste here should be light or dark roast and I suggest a dark roast because light roasts are to preserve certain tastes and there are none worth mentioning in robustas.
1.9 GB of pure vanity

Offline Iron Webmaster

• Master Chief
    • View Profile
    • Giwer's World
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
looking for Kona Coffee

Question: Did you find Kona coffee and was it any good? I have tried it from two sources and I find it bland beyond belief. Same with Jamaican Blue Mountain which sells for about twice as much. I am curious as to the reputation of both. Frankly I think they both suck. Which is one more reason I warn about my tastes vs your tastes.
1.9 GB of pure vanity

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
- Espresso by Nespresso
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »
If you like hot and bitter to wake you up in the morning it is not that hard.

Get a drip coffee maker and drip grind coffee. MEASURE two level tablespoons per 5 ounces. Do not do the hit and miss heaping TBL without measuring the water. Seriously many coffees can be much better by measuring. Not all that fussy critical like espresso but for most coffees I go to 5 TBL for my standard water measure of roughly 12 oz. That means measure it at first and then figure an easy way to do it. I mean I use my 12 oz size coffee cup to measure the water and move the grinder up one more notch when a coffee needs more than 4 tbl for 12 ounces.

Notice here even with defining the size of the cup. It matters as there are not standards. A cup of coffee can be either 4.5, 5 or 6 oz. Two TBL per 4.5 is obviously different from per 6. 

Your taste here should be light or dark roast and I suggest a dark roast because light roasts are to preserve certain tastes and there are none worth mentioning in robustas.

I was kidding about the Robusta trend, heh.  Used to use a French press with Colombian or French roast.  Now a friend lent me an espresso machine which he uses as backup in case his machine breaks down & I use Italian-style espresso beans.  Pretty good though it seems like real Italian grinds are a little bit better despite being pre-ground.  Hard to say for sure w/o cup-to-cup taste.

But the recommendations here (Chiapas, Kenyan, Ethiopean) sound interesting.  Also interesting that folks aren't crazy about Kona or Blue Mountain which are quite expensive IIRC.