Author Topic: Monsanto guilty of chemical poisoning  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
Monsanto guilty of chemical poisoning
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »
Monsanto guilty of chemical poisoning

Published: 14 February, 2012, 13:54
Edited: 14 February, 2012, 19:16
source: http://rt.com/news/monsanto-french-farmer-health-239/

French beekeepers demonstrate to protest the use of genetically-modified
organisms in front of French Monsanto headquarters in Bron.
Sign reads, "Principle of Precaution = No to GMO".
(Reuters / Robert Pratta)

A French court ruled that a controversial US biotech company Monsanto is guilty of unintentional chemical poisoning of a French farmer. The verdict sets a French precedent for pesticide-poisoning and more cases are expected to follow.

­Grain farmer Paul Francois, says he suffered a number of neurological problems, including memory loss, stammering and headaches, after inhaling Monsanto's Lasso weed killer in 2004. He blamed the company for failing to provide adequate warning labels on its products.

"I am alive today, but part of the farming population is going to be sacrificed and is going to die because of this," Reuters quoted Francois as saying.

The present case is not the first of its kind. All previous health claims have reportedly failed because of the difficulties with proving the links between health issues and exposure to pesticides and other chemicals. Francois’s claims appeared to be easier to substantiate because he could describe a particular incident – the inhaling of a particular pesticide while cleaning the tank of his crop sprayer. The man was only able to obtain his work invalidity status after a court appeal.

The court in Lyon has now ordered experts to establish the sum of damages. Monsanto’s lawyers have not commented since the court’s ruling.

French authorities claim that they are getting around 200 pesticides-related alerts per year. As few as 47 cases have been officially recognized in the past decade.

Paul Francois’s case dates back to when EU countries actively used crop-protection chemicals. Many have now been banned, and the European Union is targeting a further reduction in pesticide use. Monsanto’s Lasso is now considered dangerous in many EU countries. In France, it was withdrawn in 2007.

France's health and environment safety agency ANSES is reportedly conducting a study on farming-related health issues. The results are expected next year.

The Monsanto company is a multinational agricultural biotechnology corporation which is particularly famous for its genetically modified products and herbicides. It is also notable for its involvement in high-profile lawsuits, where fines and damages have run into the hundreds of millions of dollars. Most of them were related to health damage caused by Monsanto’s products.

LW - Unintentional my ass. Trust the lawyers to give Monsanto an 'out'.
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
- Monsanto guilty of chemical poisoning
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »
Monsanto: Banned in Germany, But You’re Probably Still Eating It

Why GM Foods Should be Labeled with a Skull and Crossbones

GM foods are, from what I perceive, one of the most significant threats that we have against the very sustainability of the human race. Why? In a nutshell, these toxins are being linked to a growing repertoire of assaults against human health and the environment — and they are already migrating into fetal blood, which means future generations are now at risk.

Monsanto wants you to simply trust them because they're "experts" and because their industry-funded studies "prove" their GM foods are safe. But these same experts also told you PCB's, Agent Orange, and DDT was safe, and we now know those claims were far from accurate.

Evil Monsanto Continues to Spreads its Poisonous Tentacles

Genetically engineered seeds are banned in Hungary, as they are in several other European countries, such as Germany and Ireland. Peru is also following the precautionary principle, and has even passed a law that bans genetically modified ingredients within the nation for 10 years.

In the United States, certain states are passing legislation that protects the use of GM seeds and allows for unabated expansion. To date, 14 states have passed such legislation and Michigan's Sen. Bill 777, if passed, would make that 15.

Bills like these are obviously music to Monsanto's ears, which spends millions of dollars lobbying the U.S. government at the federal level for favorable legislation that supports the spread of their toxic products.

Monsanto wants you to simply trust them because they're "experts" and because their industry-funded studies "prove" their GM foods are safe. But these same experts also told you PCB's, Agent Orange, and DDT was safe, and we now know those claims were far from accurate.

Of course, in terms of reliability, there's a big difference between corporate science, which tends to primarily favor and support corporate interests, and independent science, performed without preconceived bias. Scientists have, in fact, discovered a number of health problems related to genetically modified foods, including:

An analysis of 19 animal studies revealed that nearly 10 percent of blood, urine, organ and other parameters tested were significantly influenced by GMOs, with the livers and kidneys faring the worst.

A 2009 Brazilian study discovered that female rats fed GM soy for 15 months showed significant changes in their uterus and reproductive cycle, compared to rats fed organic soy or those raised without soy.

A study performed by Irina Ermakova with the Russian National Academy of Sciences reported that more than half the babies from mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks, while the death rate in the non-GM soy group was only 10 percent. Additionally, the babies in the GM group were smaller, and, worst of all, could not reproduce. In a telling coincidence, after Ermakova's feeding trials were completed, her laboratory started feeding all the rats in the facility a commercial rat chow using GM soy. Within two months, the infant mortality facility-wide reached 55 percent.

Milk treated with the Monsanto-developed genetically engineered bovine growth hormone (rBGH) contains higher levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1), a hormone linked to breast, prostate and colon cancers in humans.

Evil Monsanto Continues to Spreads its Poisonous Tentacles

Genetically engineered seeds are banned in Hungary, as they are in several other European countries, such as Germany and Ireland. Peru is also following the precautionary principle, and has even passed a law that bans genetically modified ingredients within the nation for 10 years.

In the United States, certain states are passing legislation that protects the use of GM seeds and allows for unabated expansion. To date, 14 states have passed such legislation and Michigan's Sen. Bill 777, if passed, would make that 15. The Michigan bill would prevent anti-GMO laws and would remove "any authority local governments may have to adopt and enforce ordinances that prohibit or regulate the labeling, sale, storage, transportation, distribution, use, or planting of agricultural, vegetable, flower or forest tree seeds."

Bills like these are obviously music to Monsanto's ears, which spends millions of dollars lobbying the U.S. government at the federal level for favorable legislation that supports the spread of their toxic products.

In the first quarter of 2011 alone, Monsanto spent $1.4 million on lobbying the federal government -- a drop from a year earlier, when they spent $2.5 million during the same quarter. If we all had several million to drop solely on lobbying efforts, suffice to say the world would be a very different place. If you aren't familiar with the power of lobbying please view the recent 60 minutes expansion on it, which is one of the best 60 Minute episodes I have seen in 40 years.

Oct 6, 2011

While on the campaign trail in 2007, Barack Obama promised to label GMO foods if elected. Now's the time! Today, an estimated 80% of processed foods contain GMOs. Tell President Obama you agree that the U.S. needs GMO labeling "because Americans should know what they're buying".

For the past 20 years, Americans have been denied the right to know what's in their food. Help make this the Change We Can Believe In: action.fooddemocracynow.org/​sign/​label_gmos_now/
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".
...Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with.

Sceptic

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
Oct 6, 2011

While on the campaign trail in 2007, Barack Obama promised to label GMO foods if elected. Now's the time! Today, an estimated 80% of processed foods contain GMOs. Tell President Obama you agree that the U.S. needs GMO labeling "because Americans should know what they're buying".

Good luck with that. They're wasting their time; Obama & his cronies don't care what the ppl want. Americans haven't been able to prevent politicians from selling them out to the highest bidder in every other damned area, including their kids' well-being, so that won't change now, barring some miracle.

Sushigirl, it was no big secret Monsanto is in bed with the gov't, but the US politicians refuse to address the concerns of the ppl. Excellent graphic you posted is damning evidence. Americans seem to think it's a joke, even with their health stats being the worst the in developed world. I recall French & Spanish citizens destroying GM crops in the recent past. They've always been keen on their feelings toward GM products.

Related: I read somewhere that Europe had banned hundreds of chemicals from cosmetics, whilst the US had banned only a couple dozen.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
Good luck with that. They're wasting their time; Obama & his cronies don't care what the ppl want. Americans haven't been able to prevent politicians from selling them out to the highest bidder in every other damned area, including their kids' well-being, so that won't change now, barring some miracle.

Of course they are wasting their time.

Sushigirl, it was no big secret Monsanto is in bed with the gov't, but the US politicians refuse to address the concerns of the ppl. Excellent graphic you posted is damning evidence. Americans seem to think it's a joke, even with their health stats being the worst the in developed world. I recall French & Spanish citizens destroying GM crops in the recent past. They've always been keen on their feelings toward GM products.

Indeed they are, while Monsanto has been kicked out of Germany at least a couple of times that I know of, they always come back through another door, as you can see right here.

Our Pledge   The Monsanto Pledge is our commitment to how we do business. It is a declaration that compels us to listen more, to consider our actions and their impact broadly, and to lead responsibly. It helps us to convert our values into actions, and to make clear who we are and what we champion.

(B/S! They sell sterile seeds.)

I have not seen any Heirloom seeds in our stores, here in the country or in the city. Luckily one can still buy (unadulterated) seeds from two companies. So I will try it and at the end of the season I will collect the seeds from the nicest plants. If they produce the year after, then I will know if they were real.

Related: I read somewhere that Europe had banned hundreds of chemicals from cosmetics, whilst the US had banned only a couple dozen.

Quite possible, Sceptic. Thank goodness I don't use cosmetics. I've tried it once after we got married and I was promptly told to wash my face!  8)

So I did. End of story.
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".

Sceptic

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »

Our Pledge   The Monsanto Pledge is our commitment to how we do business. It is a declaration that compels us to listen more, to consider our actions and their impact broadly, and to lead responsibly. It helps us to convert our values into actions, and to make clear who we are and what we champion.

BS indeed. They always use that overpopulation crap to scare ppl, offering food in one extended hand whilst holding a knife in another hidden behind their back. I sincerely hope the Europeans can kick them out for good. Germans & Swedes both have low fertility rates (below replacement level) & GM will worsen this. The Netherlands is now offering mobile euthanasia services! :o Basically helping Euros to kill themselves.

I used to test Monsanto pesticides in the lab. All tested top of the line for % active ingredient.

Quite possible, Sceptic. Thank goodness I don't use cosmetics. I've tried it once after we got married and I was promptly told to wash my face!  8)

So I did. End of story.

A lot of Americans do use cosmetics, plus the tons of females who buy US products, which are quite popular. Tainted warpaint + GM food = skin problems = funfe$t for pharmaceutical/medical industry.

You were wise, I guess. I rarely use them myself. Light lipgloss to protect lips but never heavy foundation. A safer alternative is mineral makeup sold by independent companies, esp in Europe.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 11:11:44 AM »
BS indeed. They always use that overpopulation crap to scare ppl, offering food in one extended hand whilst holding a knife in another hidden behind their back. I sincerely hope the Europeans can kick them out for good. Germans & Swedes both have low fertility rates (below replacement level) & GM will worsen this. The Netherlands is now offering mobile euthanasia services! :o Basically helping Euros to kill themselves.

Can't blame them, no point in breeding more future soldiers fighting foreign wars.

A lot of Americans do use cosmetics, plus the tons of females who buy US products, which are quite popular. Tainted warpaint + GM food = skin problems = funfe$t for pharmaceutical/medical industry.

I sure noticed that when I first came to Canada. Heavy make-up, poor diets and not much exercise beyond taking their pooch for a morning walk to leave his/her visitor card on anyone's front lawn. I see them from my window here, nice fancy orange baggie, except for one or two responsible types, I have yet to see any of these folks actually pick up the doggies mess.

You were wise, I guess. I rarely use them myself. Light lipgloss to protect lips but never heavy foundation. A safer alternative is mineral makeup sold by independent companies, esp in Europe.

Upbringing I guess. My Mom used no makeup, I don't remember her even using a lipstick. In later years she had the gray washed out of her hair every so often. I will do that too, I'm sure.  :)

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »
This is probably no more than part of yet another a big stock play by the jews.  This guy probably didn't read the disclaimer.
Nobody gets paid to tell the truth.