Author Topic: * Bluefin Tuna Auctioned In Tokyo For Record $736,000  (Read 7187 times)

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
* Bluefin Tuna Auctioned In Tokyo For Record $736,000
« on: January 07, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »
A restaurateur with a lot of money paid out nearly $750,000 for a Japanese market
for tuna in the Tsukiji fish on Thursday -- breaking the record price for a single red.

source

The 269 kilograms (592 pounds) of fish - caught off the coast of northern Aomori prefecture in Japan - stood at 56.49 million yen striking ($ 736.500), when the hammer came in the first auction of the year.

The figure dwarfs the previous record of 32.49 million yen paid in last year's inaugural auction at Tsukiji, a huge labor market is in many tourist itineraries in Tokyo.

Winner of Thursday was Kiyoshi Kimura, president of the company that runs the popular sushi Zanmai chain.

In about 210,000 yen per kilogram, a single slice of sushi can cost as much as 5,000 yen, but the company plans to sell at a regular price of up to 418 yen, the local press.

"The meat is red and the superb quality of fat is very good," said Kimura. "It's very delicious. The flavor is unbeatable."

A Hong Kong owner of a restaurant tuna sushi purchased last year record, and Kimura added. "I wanted to win the best tuna to Japanese customers, not abroad, you can enjoy it"

Red is usually the most expensive fish available at Tsukiji.

Emiko Misumi, a 44-year-old, who tested a piece, said: "This tuna is very fat and very tasty."

"He was sweet even without sugar either. It was a very delicate sweet flavor," said another woman customer Noriko Nakai, 63.

Decades of overfishing have seen global tuna stocks crash, leading some Western countries calling for a ban on catching bluefin tuna endangered.

Japan consumes three-quarters of the global catch of bluefin tuna, prized sushi ingredient known in Japan as "kuro maguro" (tuna black) and called by connoisseurs of sushi in the "black diamond" because of its scarcity.

"You know, the good things of this kind are appreciated around the world," said 22-year-old male customer Hirotaka Higurashi when asked about the issue of overfishing. "There is nothing we can do about it.
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".
...Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with.

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
- * Bluefin Tuna Auctioned In Tokyo For Record $736,000
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
I wouldn't feel worthy.

But this does show the japanese still have plenty of money.
Nobody gets paid to tell the truth.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »
I wouldn't feel worthy.

But this does show the japanese still have plenty of money.

I sure looks that way.

In about 210,000 yen per kilogram, a single slice of sushi can cost as much as 5,000 yen,
but the company plans to sell at a regular price of up to 418 yen, the local press.

Prestige! He obviously well to do.
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »
I sure looks that way.

In about 210,000 yen per kilogram, a single slice of sushi can cost as much as 5,000 yen,
but the company plans to sell at a regular price of up to 418 yen, the local press.

Prestige! He obviously well to do.

This summer we had North Carolina yellowfin tuna fresh off the boat. It was 10 bucks a pound.  Best raw fish I ever had.  It was detoxifying.  One can only imagine what it would be like to eat a pound of fresh bluefin.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 10:33:10 PM »
This summer we had North Carolina yellowfin tuna fresh off the boat. It was 10 bucks a pound.  Best raw fish I ever had.  It was detoxifying.  One can only imagine what it would be like to eat a pound of fresh bluefin.

10 bucks a pound sounds affordable, I would try it, but I have never tried raw tuna, however, I do like marinated herring.

Offline FrankDialogue

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 11:06:05 PM »
Being a prole I eat Bumble Bee from the can packed in oil drain the oil,  chop in vegetables,then add 2 tbsps good Mayo, tspn vinegar plus horseradish, mix into salad ...Good for sandwhich or over rice ...Good with beer and cost about $2.50.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 11:18:58 PM »
Being a prole I eat Bumble Bee from the can packed in oil drain the oil,  chop in vegetables,then add 2 tbsps good Mayo, tspn vinegar plus horseradish, mix into salad ...Good for sandwhich or over rice ...Good with beer and cost about $2.50.

Bumble Bee? :o elaborate please.
I'll look into it tomorrow... nite-nite.

Offline laconas

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 01:55:51 AM »

Try canned mackerel, it costs about the same as solid tuna. Garnish with lot's of virgin olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon, and finely chopped onions(a tiny bit of finely chopped garlic optional). Toast the bread and dip into the olive oil.
Nobody censors what they agree with

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
Try canned mackerel, it costs about the same as solid tuna. Garnish with lot's of virgin olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon, and finely chopped onions(a tiny bit of finely chopped garlic optional). Toast the bread and dip into the olive oil.

Mackerel is delicious and one of our favorite standby's, 1/2 dozen cans in are a basic item my pantry.

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »
Mackerel is delicious and one of our favorite standby's, 1/2 dozen cans in are a basic item my pantry.

Sorry guys, but mackerel is much, much, much better fresh and raw.

Offline laconas

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »

What do you put on it?

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »

I have no access here to raw mackerel, bit I must admit that I have not really looked. I'll check it out next time I go to the big city...

Post your recipe please and thank you.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
What do you put on it?

We just eat it on toasted sourdough bread as it comes out of the can. But next time I'll your suggestion.

(Garnish with lot's of virgin olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon, and finely chopped onions (a tiny
bit of finely chopped garlic optional). Toast the bread and dip into the olive oil.)

Offline laconas

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »

It probably is, but most of the time we can't afford or don't have time for the best. I have sushi once in awhile, but I remember a couple of years ago I had spinach in a Japanese restaurant that I still remember. I still have no idea what they seasoned it with. Next time I go back there I'll investigate.

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 05:33:23 AM »
It probably is, but most of the time we can't afford or don't have time for the best. I have sushi once in awhile, but I remember a couple of years ago I had spinach in a Japanese restaurant that I still remember. I still have no idea what they seasoned it with. Next time I go back there I'll investigate.

Mackerel is relatively cheap in Japan because it is abundant and lots of people fish for it recreationally.  Actually a lot of food and fish that is eaten in Japan comes from local distribution and bartering not recorded as commercial (not reflected in their GNP).  Fresh caught is the best, but they tend to be small, so the pieces are that big.  Below comes from a spanish mackerel, bigger fish.  Varieties like mackerel that can have a fishiness taste totally different (melon-like) when raw and very fresh.  I'm not big into sauces, whatever that is (looks egg-based), but the garnish looks like scallion, daikon radish and fish roe.  I like mine more basic, just good quality soy sauce, wasabi and ginger.

Offline FrankDialogue

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:26 AM »
Bumble Bee? :o elaborate please.
I'll look into it tomorrow... nite-nite.
Bumble Bee the best quality canned tuna available in my part of USA ...Solid white in oil...Oil is part soy, part fish...But oil keep fish moist, just drain off excess ...Tasty.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
Bumble Bee the best quality canned tuna available in my part of USA ...Solid white in oil...Oil is part soy, part fish...But oil keep fish moist, just drain off excess ...Tasty.

I like pretty much all seafood, had lots of it as a kid growing up in Hamburg. Very reasonably priced back then. We often went to the famous Fishmarket when I was a teenager. Many tasty varieties.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »
Of course the Fish market is very close to the famous red light district'' Reeperbahn/St. Pauli, Hamburg,'' so after a long night there, people then end up at the Fish Market for tasty a bite to eat.

Offline Railroad Bum

• Brigadier
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »
I wonder how they distribute and preserve a big fish like that and manage to keep it perfectly fresh before serving it at various restaurants?   Is it frozen? 

I always loved raw fish - sashimi - and shellfish (and even raw meat - my mother used to feed me steak tartare - I'm a cave man!), but I got sick from raw fish, so no more for me.
"Hi, Mom, this is Mark Bingham!...you believe me don't you?"

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 07:02:03 AM »
I wonder how they distribute and preserve a big fish like that and manage to keep it perfectly fresh before serving it at various restaurants?   Is it frozen? 

I always loved raw fish - sashimi - and shellfish (and even raw meat - my mother used to feed me steak tartar - I'm a cave man!), but I got sick from raw fish, so no more for me.

I am familiar with steak tartar.

The legend goes that Tartare tribes when fighting in the past didn't even have time to stop and cook their food. They are said to have kept the meat underneath their saddles and mince it in this way. Today this dish is a gourmet classic. This dish is eaten like a pate, spread on a piece of warm toast with fresh tomato and onion rings on top. It is very important though to make sure that both the meat and the egg are very fresh because they are eaten raw."

Ingredients

1 pound finely ground beef tenderloin
    1 teaspoon brown mustard
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabascoâ„¢), or to taste
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon brandy
    1 pinch salt, or to taste
    ground white pepper to taste
    1 egg

Directions

In a medium bowl, mix together the beef, mustard, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brandy, salt, pepper and egg until well blended. Arrange the meat in a neat pile on a glass dish, and cover with aluminum foil. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve as a spread on crackers or toast.