Author Topic: U.S. regrets Cuba failure to free American citizen  (Read 489 times)

Offline laconas

• Veteran
    • View Profile
U.S. regrets Cuba failure to free American citizen
« on: December 24, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »

Let's bomb Cuba!

U.S. regrets Cuba failure to free American citizen

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/24/us-cuba-usa-gross-idUSTRE7BN0E720111224

U.S. aid contractor Alan Gross and his wife Judy pose for a picture in Rome, Italy, in this undated family photograph released on October 23, 2010. REUTERS/Family Photograph/Handout

WASHINGTON | Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:03pm EST

(Reuters) - The State Department said on Saturday it deplored Cuba's failure to free Alan Gross - a U.S. citizen serving a 15-year prison term in a case that has stalled progress in U.S.-Cuba relations - as part of an announced humanitarian release of some 2,900 prisoners.

"If this is correct, we are deeply disappointed and deplore the fact that the Cuban government has decided not to take this opportunity to extend this humanitarian release to Mr. Gross this holiday season, especially in light of his deteriorating health, and to put an end to the Gross family's long plight," Mark Toner, a State Department spokesman, said Saturday.

The Cuban government said on Friday it would free 2,900 prisoners in coming days for humanitarian reasons ahead of a visit next spring by Pope Benedict XVI.

Those to be pardoned do not include Gross, a government spokesman said in Havana. He was imprisoned after setting up Internet equipment as a subcontractor in a U.S.-funded program promoting political change in Cuba.

The Cuban government considered his work subversive. His arrest halted a brief warming in U.S.-Cuba relations that have been hostile since Fidel Castro embraced Soviet Communism after his 1959 revolution.

In a statement, Toner reiterated a U.S. call on Cuban authorities to release Gross "and return him to his family, where he belongs." The State Department has said in the past that Gross was merely providing Internet access for Jewish groups in Cuba and should be released immediately.

Comments (2)

sirius1 wrote:
well, this guy must of known that it was illegal to do what he did.

The USA also detain the Cuban 5 without real reason, so , let’s play the game.. exchange those prisoners..

I don’t believe how stupid this guy can be, to have fallen in such a trap
Dec 24, 2011 2:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse

johnnyboone wrote:
So a company was given a $6 million contract to supply satelite phones etc. to Jewish resident in Cuba. Alan Gross who doesn’t speak spanish received $500,000 to supply these phones etc. It is part of a U.S. government funded program to destablize Cuba. How would the U.S. respond if Iran had the same program here. I’m sorry for Alan Gross but to stop normalization of relationships with Cuba over this minor incident basically shows the power of AIPAC. Why hust give the phones to Jewish resident of Cuba anyway. I think everyone down there is getting along together better than people in the U.S.

Dec 24, 2011 3:39pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Nobody censors what they agree with

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
- U.S. regrets Cuba failure to free American citizen
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 12:00:55 AM »
Let's bomb Cuba!

Joobans won't be happy until they get all their ill-gotten Cuban real-estate back.  Jeez, these guys love to talk about how they swam to Florida with 2 cents in their pocket & quickly made $$millions but they're never willing to let bygones be bygones.

And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen; I didn't ask who gave the order, because it had nothing to do with business!

Offline laconas

• Veteran
    • View Profile
- U.S. regrets Cuba failure to free American citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 12:26:57 AM »
Cuba freezing the Jew's assets in Cuba was a response to Jews in the US freezing Cuba's assets in the US. That part is always left out of the story. Another part that's always left out of the story is the refugee status of Joobans in the US and what benefits they received and continue to receive.
Nobody censors what they agree with