Author Topic: * World's Coolest Buildings  (Read 15935 times)

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
- * World's Coolest Buildings
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »
In a generation 99.9% all paper books will be replaced by tablets.

Yes, there's good & bad in that.  Less waste of paper, less cost (though media monopolies are currently overcharging for e-books & not passing full savings on to consumers).  OTOH it will be easier to Memory Hole things.  Convenient that one can have a huge library on a little USB stick but also easy to lose; ie less chance that parents can pass their collections on to their kids.  Likely that folks will end up using cloud & not even possess the files, increasing the difficulty of sharing/giving books to others.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
- * World's Coolest Buildings
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 07:55:04 PM »
It is appealing to me and very user-friendly. I have an Apple Mac Desktop (bought in 2011) and love it. I use Fire Fox rather than Internet Explorer.

Ipads & tablets are light & have good battery life; I don't like the "intuitive" GUI, I like good ole'-fashioned standard hierarchical menus which I find easier to use than hunting all over the screen for a tiny button.  It's like the BMW I-Drive system where BMW replaced the confusing system of 50 dashboard buttons with a central control knob yet got criticized heavily (& unfairly IMO) by the media.  BTW, folks don't realize that laptop battery life would be almost a non-issue except for 9/11!  Yes, there used to be plans to replace conventional batteries with fuel-cell cartridges.  No need to recharge, just put in a fresh cartridge & toss the old one into a recycling bin.  Only problem was cartridges contained methanol.  However Dept of Transportation now permits air passengers to use fuel cells & cartridges & some big companies are working on the products.