Author Topic: John Bolton eyes 2012 presidential run  (Read 2583 times)

Offline sugar

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
John Bolton eyes 2012 presidential run
« on: December 19, 2010, 05:54:09 AM »
John Bolton eyes 2012 presidential run
(would you vote for this lunatic?)

By MOLLY BALL | 12/17/10 7:17 PM EST Updated: 12/18/10 7:18 AM EST

No, it's not just an attention-getting stunt. John Bolton is seriously considering running for president.

Bolton, the fiery, archconservative former United Nations ambassador, sees an opening in the 2012 Republican field. And his case, while far-fetched, is not altogether implausible.

"As I survey the situation, I think the Republican field is wide open," Bolton told POLITICO. "I don't think the party's anywhere close to a decision. And stranger things have happened. For example, inexperienced senators from Illinois have gotten presidential nominations."

Bolton’s explorations are attracting some notice on the right. He’s on the cover of the forthcoming issue of National Review, the influential conservative magazine.

Editor Rich Lowry said the magazine made Bolton its subject because of his rising profile in conservative circles.

"He looms quite large," Lowry said. "There are so few voices on foreign policy [in Republican politics]. John has that expertise, and he's on Fox, I would guess, once a day at least. He's writing what feels like, to me, an op-ed a week or more for fairly substantial outlets."

The case for Bolton is a straightforward one: He would be the national security candidate. As he sees it, there wouldn’t be any meaningful competition for that designation. Republican primary voters would cotton to his confrontational style and his ability to target what conservatives see as a major vulnerability for President Barack Obama.

Bolton would benefit from the contacts acquired over his long career in government: He started at the U.S. Agency for International Development during the Reagan administration and held ranking positions in the State Department under both presidents Bush. Yet he would also carry the appeal of being a nonpolitician, someone who has never previously run for office and whose reputation, at least on the right, is as a speaker of unfiltered truth to power.

"I'm obviously aware that people are quite focused on the economy rather than foreign policy issues, but that is something that should and can be altered as people see the nature of the threats around the world that we face," Bolton said. "Nearly all the experts I've talked to have told me that candidates, in the early days, need a discriminator — something that distinguishes them from the rest of the candidates. I'm just not Generic Governor A or Generic Governor B."

Bolton acknowledged the conventional wisdom that holds that foreign policy doesn't generally motivate voters. "But I think the American people look at national security policy as a surrogate for larger characteristics in their presidential candidates: leadership, judgment, vision."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1210/46543.html#ixzz18Trwhc9u
Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zampan0

• Group Captain
    • View Profile
Re: John Bolton eyes 2012 presidential run
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 07:13:42 AM »
I think john would be perfect for the job.  A war mongering 100% pure nut case.  If he runs, he should pick Pee Wee Herman as his VP. Why Pee Wee?  If John would croak while pres., Pee Wee would make us laugh anyway.  In fact I would vote for Pee Wee as president.
Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.

Offline FrankDialogue

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »
I think john would be perfect for the job.  A war mongering 100% pure nut case.  If he runs, he should pick Pee Wee Herman as his VP. Why Pee Wee?  If John would croak while pres., Pee Wee would make us laugh anyway.  In fact I would vote for Pee Wee as president.

Ha!...Bolton would have no chance because no one would vote for him, and the big boys would never support the clown, either.

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »
I plan to cast a write-in vote for Bolton's mustache.
Nobody gets paid to tell the truth.

Offline Spahi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:46:11 AM »

Man I was thinking the same thing!

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »
Man I was thinking the same thing!

We assume a mustache cannot sign a bill, but no telling these days.

Offline FrankDialogue

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »

I'm gonna write you in: Lt. General Wag, Freedom Portal Party.

Offline laconas

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »
Why not? Bolton represents a specific demographic -- the Giuliani demographic. There's no doubt elections are fixed, but even so, they have to get as many as possible to participate.
Nobody censors what they agree with

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 05:54:11 PM »
I'm gonna write you in: Lt. General Wag, Freedom Portal Party.

If nominated I shall run.  And I promise I will have a real good excuse if I'm a no-show for any scheduled events.

Offline bpocatch

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 07:58:06 PM »
What exactly is he "conserving?"

Offline FLAT_HEADED_RUSSIAN

• Troll
  • Major General
  • The Empire is falling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 05:50:16 AM »
Ha!...Bolton would have no chance because no one would vote for him
We VOTE in our leadership - You believe that?
If he is 'Big Oil' - he will win and no ones asking you what you think
We are Legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget
Expect us