Author Topic: What Is Leaderless Resistance?  (Read 2934 times)

Offline jacob gold

• Troll
  • General of the Army
    • View Profile
What Is Leaderless Resistance?
« on: October 25, 2010, 05:32:39 AM »
Can anyone give me a 'concise' meaning and some examples. Skip the religious crap. How is it formed, and how do people communicate?

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
Re: What Is Leaderless Resistance?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:34:22 AM »
Can anyone give me a 'concise' meaning and some examples. Skip the religious crap. How is it formed, and how do people communicate?

Leaderless resistance, or phantom cell structure, is a political resistance strategy in which small, independent groups (covert cells) challenge an established adversary such as a government. Leaderless resistance can encompass anything from non-violent disruption and civil disobedience to bombings, assassinations and other violent agitation. Leaderless cells lack bidirectional, vertical command links and operate without hierarchal command. While it lacks a central command, the concept does not necessarily imply lack of cooperation.

Given the simplicity of the strategy, leaderless resistance has been employed by a wide-range of movements, from terrorist and hate groups, to the animal rights movement, radical environmental movement, as well as anti-corporate and anti-abortion activists.

A typical covert cell operates as anything from a lone individual to a small group. The basic characteristic of the structure is that there is no explicit communication between cells which are otherwise acting toward the same goals. Members of one cell usually have little or no specific information on who else is agitating on behalf of their cause.

Another example: In some cases, a largely leaderless movement may evolve into a coherent insurgency or guerrilla movement, as successfully occurred with the Yugoslav partisans of World War II. In the same conflict, the British leadership had extensive plans for the use of such resistance in the event of a German invasion.

The same structure can be used by non-violent groups authoring, printing and distributing samizdat literature, using the internet to create self-propagating boycotts against political opponents, maintaining an alternative electronic currency outside of the reach of the taxing governments and transaction-logging banks.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=leaderless+resistance+movements&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".
...Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with.

Offline rodin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • Dissential
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 10:05:54 AM »
I know where you are coming from

I can see where we could get to - open source democracy with blowback/negative feedback and the removal of all artificial leverage (thats a big subject includes drastic changes in money, knowledge, resource ownership, abolition of monopolies and oligopolies - and educated people governing themselves directly not thru elected representation.

IT and the internet will enable this

How to get there thats the problem
Belief is the Enemy of Truth

People will always be disappointed in me, for after they become convinced I am 'one of them' they will find out I am not.

Offline Vidarr

• Group Major
  • Is not Impressed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 10:32:48 AM »
What Is Leaderless Resistance?

ehm... No

This banning system obviously needs some work..

Online Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »

Leaderless cells lack bidirectional, vertical command links and operate without hierarchical command. While it lacks a central command, the concept does not necessarily imply lack of cooperation. [/snip] ... [snip] The basic characteristic of the structure is that there is no explicit communication between cells which are otherwise acting toward the same goals. Members of one cell usually have little or no specific information on who else is agitating on behalf of their cause.

On the issue of communication I would offer a more current paradigm. We now have the means to communicate laterally via the internet or failing that, shortwave and cell phones and satellite. Granted these means will be severely compromised but there are countermeasures available. The tyrants today are very much dependent on the net themselves so those countermeasures can be used unless the power goes out completely, in which case that would affect the monolithic enemy to an equal degree.

Frankly I cannot see leaderless resistance being successful without some sort of lateral communication, both for alerting cells in proximity as to what is going on, giving them the option to participate or no, and to make sure that wide flung cells everywhere are in sync philosophically, politically and strategically. However such communication, from sneakernet to the internet would not be 'organized'. We can see for ourselves how something or other goes viral easy enough without a central command. Of course that does not preclude some issues being planted and propagated and going viral. There we must acknowledge that if the basics are not shared within the resistance then things will go south in a hurry.

Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 01:08:23 PM »
There we must acknowledge that if the basics are not shared within the resistance then things will go south in a hurry.

Right.

Therefore being in SYNC is absolutely essential, a group should be able to reach a consensus and move in formation without centralized coordination.
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".

Offline jools

• Third Lieutenant
  • There are no good Jews.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »
You must read  The Turner Diaries.

www.resist.com/The_Turner_Diaries.pdf

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »

I have down loaded the pdf and will read it. Thanks.

Offline grizzle

• Group Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 03:52:15 PM »
and some examples.

These are often cited as an example of Leadeless Resistance. But don't ask me to argue the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_of_correspondence
"Yes I know, science fiction...but actually, science fact." - Vincent Price in Scream and Scream Again

Offline Arthur Topham

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
    • The Radical Press
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 07:41:44 PM »
Thanks for the pdf of the TDs. Been looking for them for sometime. Definitely have an Orwellian flavour to them.

Arthur
"The answer to the Jewish problem is simple. Keep them out of banking, out of education, out of government." [and the media. A.T.]
~ Ezra Pound

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 10:54:06 PM »

I used to patronize a local news-stand/bookstore that stocked much alt-info, but when I asked if they had The Turner Diaries the guy stammered, "No, we don't carry that kind of stuff".  They had the (tired) Anarchist Cookbook, many books re sex or drugs, but not THAT.

Offline mallard

• Commander
  • Coulda had a V-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 07:51:15 AM »
How is it formed, and how do people communicate?

All it takes is general observation which is yet 'loosely associated' so as to represent an equivalent of unity.

For example:
Run Away! becomes the unspoken yet mass reality thought of the moment.

But you're not interested in moments of shock awareness I don't think, but rather in movements of general awareness in which cognitive reason propels the resulting natural, inter-related communication and order to achieve some safe or noble end [presumably].

I would agree that it doesn't take specific leadership 'manifestations' or characters to make it work ... in theory, only a weighty enough 'entity' plainly requiring active resistance.  That's where we are ... in the dark.

I don't have any good examples either, but think it's an especially good question ... and key to ... any good 'answer' ... is asking the right questions, of course!  

If this makes little sense, it's only my first shot [and there'd better not be a second].
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:21:20 AM by LoneWolf »
don't eat yellow snow

Offline WaltDisney

• Troll
  • General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »
The IRA, before Sinn Fein became the political wing, is a perfect example.

Despite the infiltration, they were still extremely effective and feared.  And were the present day model on how to...

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 01:06:32 PM by WaltDisney »
"I hardly exaggerate. Jewish life consists of two elements: Extracting money and protesting."
-Nahum Goldmann, Ex-President of the World Jewish Congress

Online Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »
The IRA, before Sinn Fein became the political wing, is a perfect example.

Despite the infiltration, they were still extremely effective and feared.  And were the present day model on how to...

That could be because they were infiltrated long ago... most of the bombing were done by MI5...

I don't see them as a such a good example... they formed up along the usual military hierarchies of command. That is no way like 'leaderless resistance'.

Offline WaltDisney

• Troll
  • General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 02:40:44 PM »
That could be because they were infiltrated long ago... most of the bombing were done by MI5...
I don't see them as a such a good example... they formed up along the usual military hierarchies of command. That is no way like 'leaderless resistance'.

They had a common and unified purpose...to drive out the English Zionist Occupiers.
The infiltration by the Brits never put the IRA in jeopardy,  being loosely organized in cells.

And MI 5 didnt do most of the bombings, except the ones that claimed civilian lives ie false flags...to demonize the IRA,  and try to turn the civilian populace against them, it didnt work.
IRA killed off 9xs the number of Brit thug troops and had less civilian casualties than the UDF-Prot Zionists.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRJGfe0k7rI?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MRJGfe0k7rI?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Notice the IRA called in their bombs, most anyway.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GTlCrPOxirA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GTlCrPOxirA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>"

No other group was as feared or as effective as the IRA, period.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:43:46 PM by WaltDisney »
"I hardly exaggerate. Jewish life consists of two elements: Extracting money and protesting."

Online Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 03:19:59 PM »

No other group was as feared or as effective as the IRA, period.

Not Irish are you Walt.   :D

The home guard always has the advantage, especially when their cause is supported by the indigenous population. It was the label of terrorism however that severely impinged on their cause, which is why I brought that up. In their effort to justify their occupation the Brits work using black ops to create 'events' that they could blame on the IRA were very successful and undoubtedly made it very difficult for the IRA to garner international support (as any invaded country would) and to find arms.

Offline WaltDisney

• Troll
  • General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 03:59:41 PM »
Not Irish are you Walt.   :D

The home guard always has the advantage, especially when their cause is supported by the indigenous population. It was the label of terrorism however that severely impinged on their cause, which is why I brought that up. In their effort to justify their occupation the Brits work using black ops to create 'events' that they could blame on the IRA were very successful and undoubtedly made it very difficult for the IRA to garner international support (as any invaded country would) and to find arms.

58 Million to 5 million...

And its still going on 800 years later, and another 800 years if the Zio Brits wish.

Online Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 04:04:38 PM »

58 Million to 5 million...

And its still going on 800 years later, and another 800 years if the Zio Brits wish.

That's like saying 200 million Americans against 16 million Vietnamese. It's the controlling hierarchies that make the call to war. Unless attacked the people could care less. In the case of the IRA it was 5 million against the British Army.

Offline WaltDisney

• Troll
  • General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 07:50:34 PM »
That's like saying 200 million Americans against 16 million Vietnamese. It's the controlling hierarchies that make the call to war. Unless attacked the people could care less. In the case of the IRA it was 5 million against the British Army.

Yes and no.

It was more like 400 IRA members vs 20,000 British Zionist Troops, if you want to be technical.

An even smaller percentage to illustrate the effectiveness of the IRA.  And yes, they had the support of the people, they WERE in fact, the people

Online Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 09:02:12 PM »
Yes and no.

It was more like 400 IRA members vs 20,000 British Zionist Troops, if you want to be technical.

An even smaller percentage to illustrate the effectiveness of the IRA.  And yes, they had the support of the people, they WERE in fact, the people

I did say 'The home guard always has the advantage, especially when their cause is supported by the indigenous population.' I wasn't counting bodies until you began.  Anyway I think we're both agreed that the Brits have no business in Ireland, nor the USA in Iraq, or Afghanistan, or Pakistan or Iran. We should perhaps occupy Israel. After all, we paid for it.

I'm quite sure that we would get the support of the indigenous people there... as long as promised to leave in short order.