Author Topic: * Beautiful Photography  (Read 13767 times)

Offline Vidarr

• Group Major
  • Is not Impressed
    • View Profile
- Re: * Beautiful Photography
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2011, 09:27:59 AM »
expensive ungreen low-rise housing.  USA takes much heat for the wasteful suburban model but the Nordics are pretty bad also,

? excuse me ?
You  would prefer people to be stacked like chickens in the bio industry, you call a home with a garden a waste of space and energy ?. The nordic housing model of low buildings with a garden was actually introduced by Hitler because he realized people need that space , people need a garden simply for mental sanity so they have an opportunity to escape the walls of their home.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:38:09 AM by Vidarr »
This banning system obviously needs some work..

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2011, 11:03:20 AM »

That is just gross. Devoid of any green space and fresh air to breathe.

I once fussed at ChrisPDX for posting a pro-Danish article that mentioned their gov't schemes for house-building which (despite Scandinavian rep for green) relied vastly on expensive ungreen low-rise housing.  USA takes much heat for the wasteful suburban model but the Nordics are pretty bad also, although they have better public transport.  The circular-style Danish subdivisions are IMHO rather nasty, all suggesting of people-farming like agriculture in dry areas that relies on irrigation.  Internet reports of rate of Danish homelessness vary widely but some claim tens of thousands are homeless in Denmark.

No wasted space here: welcome to today's ghettos

"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".
...Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 08:35:35 PM »

? excuse me ?
You  would prefer people to be stacked like chickens in the bio industry, you call a home with a garden a waste of space and energy ?. The nordic housing model of low buildings with a garden was actually introduced by Hitler because he realized people need that space , people need a garden simply for mental sanity so they have an opportunity to escape the walls of their home.

Why do folks hate on high-rise housing?  I've lived in both low-rise & high-rise & there are advantages to both.  Why not give folks a choice instead of zoning commissars dictating?  In USA local zoning boards make construction of efficient low-cost housing defacto illegal due to perverse tax/spending incentives.  A lot of folks would be happier with their own small apartment than wasting money on over-priced houses, dealing with nasty roommates or renters etc.  The high-rises I've lived in were hardly "soulless"--people were friendlier than in house/townhouse areas; buildings are safer, more conducive to public transport etc.

I like gardening but for most home-owners keeping up the landscape is just another expense (with illegals doing a lot of the work).  Very few USA folks grow veggies in home gardens & mostly kids don't use yards to play outdoors anymore.

Germany has the tradition of low-rise housing but mostly only the wealthy can afford US-style suburban houses with spacious lawn/garden.  Also Germany, to it's credit, has a lot of medium-rise housing.  On my last trip to Germany I was amazed to see the large number of 5-story apartment buildings in Berlin & Munich.  AFAIK they don't have elevators--in America these would be illegal since we now consider it inhumane to expect folks to walk up more than 2 stories.  Also Germany, despite a relatively excellent public transport system, has transportation problems.  Many folks are forced to use autos with skyrocketing costs & traffic jams.

The Netherlands is even more devoted to low-rise housing with the whole country becoming basically one big suburb with little space for forests, parks etc.

Offline Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2011, 08:53:08 PM »
The Netherlands is even more devoted to low-rise housing with the whole country becoming basically one big suburb with little space for forests, parks etc.

That's rather sad to hear. As a young boy there I remember well the forests and town centered communities there. Compared to what Canada (Montreal) was when we came over it was rather idyllic.
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
- * Beautiful Photography
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2011, 10:58:25 AM »
@LoneWolf, @ EyeBelieve

This is The Odessy Tower in Calgary (after we sold our house) we lived there for almost two years prior to moving to beautiful British Columbia. There are three towers with magnificent views of the city. Usually a 10 minute drive to the city center. It was a great place to live and also the place where I interviewed potential candidates for oil companies until the economy took a dive in the early 80's.

Retirement in BC was our dream, so, we sold and hit the road a little sooner than we thought. No regrets! 

Germany still has plenty of lovely green spaces left and lots of hiking trails. 2006 was the last time I was there.
"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to state this or that or the other, but it is "not done".

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2011, 06:37:55 PM »
That's rather sad to hear. As a young boy there I remember well the forests and town centered communities there. Compared to what Canada (Montreal) was when we came over it was rather idyllic.

I guess there are forests somewhere there, I just haven't seen 'em whereas they're much more common in Germany, France etc.  I'm not saying Netherlands is ugly, I saw many a tidy little town, but they're strikingly uniform as if all produced from same plan.  Housing designs vary little within towns too.  Reminds me of Reston Virginia (what the Brits call a "New Town") that is pleasant enough but strictly controlled.

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
@LoneWolf, @ EyeBelieve

This is The Odessy Tower in Calgary (after we sold our house) we lived there for almost two years prior to moving to beautiful British Columbia. There are three towers with magnificent views of the city. Usually a 10 minute drive to the city center. It was a great place to live and also the place where I interviewed potential candidates for oil companies until the economy took a dive in the early 80's.

Germany still has plenty of lovely green spaces left and lots of hiking trails. 2006 was the last time I was there.

Odyssey Tower looks pretty nice.  From watching umpteen Canadian-produced movies/tv it looks that Canadians approve of high-rises a bit more than "Americans" even though lack of space isn't a big problem in Canada.  In Montreal's Expo '67 there was a cool semi-high rise building called Habitat...unique design which maximized airiness, sun & privacy.  Ironically the US pavilion was a big geodesic dome which would be illegal in much of USA now.

& yes, Germany does have an amazing amount of green space considering fairly high population density.  Yes they have pretty strict zoning but apparently it works better than USA, UK etc where only needs of wealthy are accounted for.  A couple of years ago I checked prices for low-cost apartments in Berlin, just to compare to USA.  There were some places even cheaper than comparable (big-city) locations in USA.  OTOH I read an article for ex-pats seeking apartments in Munich...the situation was very tight there & finding a flat was time-consuming & frustrating.  Fuehrer EB will put a stop to this nonsense, NIMBYers will be sent to SuperMax prisons & enjoy true privacy!   ;)

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2011, 08:19:57 PM »
Odyssey Tower looks pretty nice.  From watching umpteen Canadian-produced movies/tv it looks that Canadians approve of high-rises a bit more than "Americans" even though lack of space isn't a big problem in Canada.

Of course in the down-town locations there are more, but not quite as unique. Our balcony was absolutely private.

In Montreal's Expo '67 there was a cool semi-high rise building called Habitat...unique design which maximized airiness, sun & privacy.  Ironically the US pavilion was a big geodesic dome which would be illegal in much of USA now.

While this design is rather unique too and the view exquisite and looks friendly, for my taste it lacks privacy.

& yes, Germany does have an amazing amount of green space considering fairly high population density.  Yes they have pretty strict zoning but apparently it works better than USA, UK etc where only needs of wealthy are accounted for.  A couple of years ago I checked prices for low-cost apartments in Berlin, just to compare to USA.  There were some places even cheaper than comparable (big-city) locations in USA.  OTOH I read an article for ex-pats seeking apartments in Munich...the situation was very tight there & finding a flat was time-consuming & frustrating.

I have seen more of Germany visiting from Canada, than I did while living there, I left Germany at age 18. And when I went back on my fist visit four years later, my Dad had a fatal heart-attack only three weeks before I arrived. That was a sad visit. My later visits were more pleasant. I have 4 sisters-in-law, so there is lots of excitement and we all get along well. All except one have visited us here, she does not like flying...

Fuehrer EB will put a stop to this nonsense, NIMBYers will be sent to SuperMax prisons & enjoy true privacy!   ;)

LOL... Cute.  ;)

Offline Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I guess there are forests somewhere there, I just haven't seen 'em whereas they're much more common in Germany, France etc.  I'm not saying Netherlands is ugly, I saw many a tidy little town, but they're strikingly uniform as if all produced from same plan.  Housing designs vary little within towns too.  Reminds me of Reston Virginia (what the Brits call a "New Town") that is pleasant enough but strictly controlled.

There were forests back then, when I was young. And it wasn't just a small patch. I remember it as clear as day. But that was in the late fifties and well before the influx of modernism and immigrants.
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2011, 09:57:57 PM »
There were forests back then, when I was young. And it wasn't just a small patch. I remember it as clear as day. But that was in the late fifties and well before the influx of modernism and immigrants.

I also arrived in the late fifties in Montreal. The next day I went by train to Edmonton, from there to Calgary. That was a long trip.  One of the fellows working on that 8000 ton ship I talked to a lot, was Gary's brother, who said contact him, he may be helpful....

Well, he still is. :)

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »

Of course in the down-town locations there are more, but not quite as unique. Our balcony was absolutely private.

While this design is rather unique too and the view exquisite and looks friendly, for my taste it lacks privacy.

Yes I suppose in more standard high-rises there is more privacy since looking down/up or across at neighbors is blocked by the next apartment in column/row.  I think the Habitat idea was to emphasize having a distinct & airy place...maybe if the neighbors are happier they aren't so inclined to spy on each other!  Anyway I think Habitat, along with the other Expo '67 infrastructure, was destroyed, just like after Montreal etc Olympics.

I have seen more of Germany visiting from Canada, than I did while living there, I left Germany at age 18. And when I went back on my fist visit four years later, my Dad had a fatal heart-attack only three weeks before I arrived. That was a sad visit.

Sorry to hear about that, at least he had the consolation of having a nice daughter.  BTW I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention, didn't realize you were in BC not Calgary now.  Wow, BC is the promised land.  Mountains, lakes, beautiful scenery.  A little cloudy but the tv/movie guys consider the flat light a plus.

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2011, 11:29:51 PM »
Yes I suppose in more standard high-rises there is more privacy since looking down/up or across at neighbors is blocked by the next apartment in column/row.  I think the Habitat idea was to emphasize having a distinct & airy place...maybe if the neighbors are happier they aren't so inclined to spy on each other!  Anyway I think Habitat, along with the other Expo '67 infrastructure, was destroyed, just like after Montreal etc Olympics.

True, airy, it was indeed. The standard highrises downtown are built to closely to each other, though they are quite nice inside, but not enough sunshine for the lower floors.

Sorry to hear about that, at least he had the consolation of having a nice daughter.  BTW I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention, didn't realize you were in BC not Calgary now.  Wow, BC is the promised land.  Mountains, lakes, beautiful scenery.  A little cloudy but the tv/movie guys consider the flat light a plus.

Yes, that was very sad, we were so close and he was only 52 years old, so smart and so well traveled. From Lima to Shanghai, from Bombay to North Africa. He never made it to Australia or to North America to visit me.  :'( 

BC is nice and we will get our 1/2 acre retreat next Spring in an excellent growing area. I'm so excited about that. I will order Organic seeds from Kelowna, BC and some my sister in-law will send to me in time. (Monsanto is not having a good time in Germany, they have been kicked out twice.) No doubt Ms. Cleavage (Merkel) will let them in again.

It is past my bedtime - again, good night!

Offline FrankDialogue

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2011, 06:46:12 AM »
I have to blow a horn for Philadelphia here: We have the world's largest 'in city' park, Fairmount Park...And the northern section of it is called the Wissahickon, which, although it has well maintained bike and foot paths, is still a place you could camp in for a week or so, and not be noticed, if you use a little discretion...Eye Believe is probably familiar with it...It is quite wonderful:

Parts w/ foot & bike trail

Valley Green Inn, Colonial Inn in the center of Wissahickon

Forbidden Drive, bike path

Cathedral Meadow/North Wissahickon

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2011, 07:28:54 AM »

Lovely area, awesome scenery, Frank. Most of these pictures look like parts of B.C.

Offline FrankDialogue

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2011, 10:09:26 AM »

Lovely area, awesome scenery, Frank. Most of these pictures look like parts of B.C.

Only we don't have the Pacific Ocean next to us...What an awesome body of water, majestic!

Offline burford

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2011, 05:26:31 PM »
Only we don't have the Pacific Ocean next to us...What an awesome body of water, majestic!

Oh c'mon! You've already got the Delaware and the Surekill Rivers. I mean, you can't have everything.
If people are brainwashed, how would they know it?

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2011, 06:56:01 PM »

A lot of water, awesome colors, especially when you sail to all the way to Australia. We stopped in Hawaii, Fiji and Auckland, NZ., very nicely situated, and Sidney, where we spent a week with relatives, and then on to our final destination, Perth. We stayed for a little more than a year. It was nice, great weather most of the time, the Aussies we met all very friendly.

(Great Beer!)

Offline EyeBelieve

• General of the Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
I have to blow a horn for Philadelphia here: We have the world's largest 'in city' park, Fairmount Park...And the northern section of it is called the Wissahickon, which, although it has well maintained bike and foot paths, is still a place you could camp in for a week or so, and not be noticed, if you use a little discretion...Eye Believe is probably familiar with it...It is quite wonderful:
Yes, Fairmount Park is very nice, reminds me a lot of Rock Creek Park in DC/MD.  Just north of downtown at the southern end of Fairmount are the boat houses for crew, very traditional-looking.  Also next to the int'l airport there's a big wildlife refuge.  Really, Philly doesn't get it's due credit for being an interesting tourist destination.  A friend from South America didn't believe me when I told her folks drive hours to Philly just for the sandwiches.

Offline burford

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »

From just about this location looking at the Hermits Lane bridge, if you turn around you get a pretty impressive view of the Henry Avenue bridge towering overhead, if I recall correctly, although it's been about 35 years.

If people are brainwashed, how would they know it?

Offline Sue

• Veteran
  • Thumbs Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »
Every Child Needs A Pet

The cutest collection you'll ever see!