Author Topic: Mayor's campaign: Anti-Cohen movement 'doesn't exist'  (Read 574 times)

Offline america

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Mayor's campaign: Anti-Cohen movement 'doesn't exist'
« on: September 27, 2005, 09:42:13 PM »
Mayor's campaign: Anti-Cohen movement 'doesn't exist'
By Bernie Smith/ Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 | townonline.com

Just days after Mayor David Cohen trounced Mike Striar and Tom Sheff in a lopsided preliminary election, the mayor's campaign spokesman declared that the results prove that the public is happy with the job being done by Newton's chief executive.

"People are satisfied with the job David Cohen's doing," said Gerry Chervinsky. "Striar thought he could tap into this anti-Cohen movement. It doesn't exist."

With only about a 10 percent turnout, Cohen collected 3,169 votes, or 62 percent. That's 1,325 more votes than his two opponents received combined.

Striar picked up only 23 percent, but it was enough to face Cohen once more in the general election on Nov. 8.

Sheff had about 13 percent of the vote and has been eliminated.
 :(

While Chervinsky is predicting that Cohen will to win by a similar margin in November, Striar sought to find a silver lining in the results, noting that the two-term mayor faired poorly in the city's more blue-collar neighborhoods of Nonantum and West Newton.

In fact, in two of the four precincts in Ward 1, which covers Nonantum and Newton Corner, Striar was the top vote-getter, including in Precinct 4, in which both Striar and Sheff bested Cohen.

"I felt great. I met the standard I needed to qualify for the ballot," Striar said. "Tom Sheff was a pretty good candidate."

Striar said he believed Cohen did his best to get as many of his supporters to the polls, and that the remaining 90 percent of registered voters who did not vote last week have yet to be heard from.

"He [Cohen] put a lot of effort to get those 3,000 voters to show up," Striar said. "You would think that an incumbent mayor, when he starts making direct appeals, citywide mailings, has the phone bank going, and all he gets s roughly 3,000 votes - I would think the mayor's camp would be very concerned, because that's the base of his support right there."

Campaign finance reports show that from Jan. 1 to Sept. 2, Cohen spent $52,300 on his reelection, while Strair spent $28,200.

But Chervinsky, of KRC Communications Research, said the mayor didn't exert much energy on a get-out-the-vote push, and that the results of the general election are likely to be similar to the preliminary results.

Click on the link for the rest of the article. 

Modified by NOLAJBS: formatted link
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 06:38:23 AM by NOLAJBS »
I have the entire uncensored version downloaded.
Thanks guys!