Author Topic: Insider Tells the Truth About the Cover-up of the Attack on the USS Liberty  (Read 4900 times)

Offline E_T

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Insider Tells the Truth About the Cover-up of the Attack on the USS Liberty
June 9, 2007 `” crescentandcross

`˜Son, I spent 2 years as a special agent in the FBI and over 30 yrs in the military, and if it is one thing I learned through all of this, it`s that when you get an order, you say `˜yes sir` and carry it out with no questions asked`.

This was the response given by Capt. Ward Boston, USN (Ret) to this reporter in a series of recent interviews he gave for American Free Press Newspaper. For those not familiar with Capt. Ward Boston, he played what will one day be recognized as one of the most pivotal roles in recent human history. 40 years ago this upcoming June, he was the senior legal council for the Naval Board of Inquiry concerning the June 8, 1967 attack on the USS Liberty by Israeli Air and Naval forces that resulted in 34 Americans killed and 171 wounded. His job in 1967 was to be part of a hastily-called investigation into the attack, and`“as he has recently revealed to the shock of many`“to rule that Israel`s 90-minute bloodfest waged against America`s young men was all an `˜accident` that occurred during `˜the fog of war`, all the evidence to the contrary be damned. In 2002, Capt. Ward broke his silence of 3 decades and released an affidavit to the public in which he admitted that the entire investigation was a sham, and that he was under orders (from persons of no less authority than President Lyndon Johnson and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara) to rule that the bloodiest day in American naval history since WWII took place as a result of `˜mistaken identity` and that America`s ally, Israel`“was innocent of any wrongdoing.

For 35 years Capt. Ward lived with the bitter knowledge that his fellow servicemen had been deliberately murdered in what was an act of war by a foreign power and yet because of the orders he received was powerless to say anything. A conflux of events however led him to make the decision to `˜damn the torpedoes` and to let the chips fall where they may. `˜I`m an old man` he told AFP. `˜They can`t threaten my job, and if they throw me into jail, so what? The truth has to be told for the benefit of the survivors and for the American people whose sons and daughters are dying today`.

The first of these events leading him to break his silence was the 2002 release of a book entitled `˜The Liberty Incident` written by Judge Ahron Jay Cristol at a time when America was being drawn into a series of long-term military engagements with countries that just so happened to be enemies of Israel. Through his book and subsequent speaking tour, Cristol (a slavish, shameless, fanatical apologist for the Jewish State who is on more-than-friendly terms with a number of people in both the military and arms industry in Israel) did the usual song and dance when it comes to discussing the terrorist state that attacked America in 1967, which was to argue for unconditional acquittal, using a collage of sloppy yet deliberate misrepresentations and omissions of fact. In Capt. Boston`s words, it was Cristol`s `˜insidious attempt to whitewash the event that pushed me to speak out`.

`˜These rats,` he said, referring to Israel and her defenders. `˜They lie about everything. You can`t believe a word they say` he told AFP. What was so important about this statement was that Capt. Boston was not just talking about the past, but about the present and future as well. `˜They`ve completely infested the entire Intelligence and Defense apparatus of the United States` he said. `˜Perle, Feith, Wolfowitz, and all the rest of them`¦They`re spies for Israel, every damned one of them` he said. `˜Just consider the 5 guys who were arrested after 9/11, cheering and celebrating, and then afterwards we come to find out that they were Mossad and then they get sent back to Israel. They knew all about it and yet our government, the government I worked for most of my life did nothing about it. Can you imagine if these guys were Arabs?` he asked. `˜It`s been the same thing, ever since 1967` he said with unmistakable aggravation. `˜Protect Israel, protect Israel`¦In the meantime, our boys are dying over there and those who don`t die are coming back here with all sorts of problems, both physical and psychological`.

It was his visit to Israel some years back that clinched it for this man in terms of his feelings for the `˜great experiment` in Jewish self-rule. `˜The way they treat the Arabs`¦it`s unconscionable` he said. `˜You go into Israel, into the only places where they allow the tourists, and it`s the picture of paradise, just as the Soviets used to do. Then you take a detour off the approved itinerary and you see what it is really like`¦The poverty, misery, abuse. Arab kids being gunned down in broad daylight. It`s worse than South Africa. Only a person with a ice water in his veins could see the way the Arabs are treated and not be outraged`.

As far as the future goes, Capt. Boston is not hopeful. `˜If either they (the Israelis) or the US launches a war against Iran, it will be the beginning of the end` he said. `˜Armageddon`¦You`ll have Muslims pouring into the area from all over the world and no army will be able to stop them. They will tear Israel and the Americans to pieces.`

As far as his reaction to the predictable accusations of `˜anti-Semitism` that have been leveled against him for telling the truth concerning the attack on the Liberty, he laughs it off. `˜One of my closest friends growing up was Jewish` he said. `˜I don`t have a prejudiced bone in my body. What we are dealing with here is an act of war initiated against the United States, the country I swore an oath to defend, period. If a proper investigation into the attack on the Liberty had been allowed to take place and the American people made aware of what happened, we would not be in the middle of this mess in the Middle East now.`

2007 By Mark Glenn

Correspondent`“American Free Press Newspaper

www.americanfreepress.net

www.crescentandcross.com

americanfreepress@yahoo.com

http://theuglytruth.wordpress.com/2007/06/09/insider-tells-the-truth-about-the-cover-up-of-the-attack-on-the-uss-liberty/
Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they will.
Pythagoras (BC 582-BC 507) Greek philosopher

Offline E_T

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
How convenient!

Key Figure in USS Liberty Inquiry Dies

June 16, 2008
Military.com|by Bryant Jordan
Retired Navy Capt. Ward Boston, who in 2002 broke 35 years of silence to say the US Navy Board of Inquiry long cited to clear Israel of wrongdoing in attacking a US Navy ship during the Six Day War was a sham, died June 11 in California. He was 84.

Emma Boston, his wife of 60 years, told Military.com that Boston had been sick for about six weeks before his death and had been hospitalized. She said he ultimately died of pneumonia, which he contracted in the hospital.

"He was sharp as a tack right up until they put him under sedation" because of his difficulty breathing, she said.

In 1967, Boston was a Navy lawyer and assigned as the legal adviser to the board, which was convened within days of the June 8 attack by Israeli air and naval forces on the USS Liberty, an American surveillance ship floating in international waters in the Mediterranean.

Israel claimed the attack was a case of mistaken identity, and that it believed the Navy ship was an Egyptian vessel. The report ultimately turned over by the board made no conclusions on culpability, though survivors have long maintained that the Israelis knew full well they were attacking an American ship.

In the years since, the three members of the board died, leaving only Boston as an inside witness to their work. In 2002 he at last began to talk about the investigation, saying the board's work was intended as a cover-up. Subsequently Boston drafted and signed a full statement, in which he said the final report was not the one he signed off on as the legal counsel. Handwritten corrections and his initials were absent from the board transcript released publicly, he said.

He also stated that the board president, Rear Adm. Isaac Kidd, told him that he had been ordered to re-write portions of the report when he brought it to Washington.

Boston's comments were welcomed by stunned Liberty survivors, who believed they would finally get the congressional hearings they sought for more than three decades.

Other credible sources had called the incident a deliberate attack on an American ship -- among them former Secretary of State Dean Rusk, former CIA Directors Richard Helms and Bobbie Inman, former National Security Agency Director Marshall Carter, and Rear Adm. Merlin Staring, who was legal counsel to board's appointing authority, Adm. John McCain. 

But Ennes said Boston's first-hand knowledge of the board's work lent greater weight to his words.

"We `¦ felt the lid had finally been lifted in 2002 when Captain Boston came forward to report the inner workings of the cover-up,` Jim Ennis, a Liberty survivor and author of the 1980 book Assault on the Liberty, told Military.com. "Finally, we thought, Congress would give us the investigation we have sought since 1967.`

But a statement from a witness to the board's work, said Ennes, "could not move a single member of Congress to look seriously at what survivors agree was a cover-up of the deliberate attack by Israel.` Thirty-four men were killed in the attack and more than 170 wounded. The board, told it had just one week to wrap up its work, interviewed about 15 survivors, and took no testimony from the more than 60 men hospitalized, Boston said.

Supporters of Israel argue that Israel would have no motivation to attack an American ship. Among explanations offered by those who believe the attack was deliberate is that Israel feared the U.S. spy ship would pick up radio signals indicating Israeli soldiers were executing captured and unarmed Egyptian soldiers in the Sinai, or because they feared the U.S. would react negatively if it knew that Israel launched its attack on the Golan Heights without having been attacked by Syria.

© Copyright 2008 Military.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.military.com/news/article/key-figure-in-uss-liberty-inquiry-dies.html?col=1186032310810

Offline WindRiverShoshoni

• Group Major
    • View Profile
Supporters of Israel argue that Israel would have no motivation to attack an American ship. Among explanations offered by those who believe the attack was deliberate is that Israel feared the U.S. spy ship would pick up radio signals indicating Israeli soldiers were executing captured and unarmed Egyptian soldiers in the Sinai, or because they feared the U.S. would react negatively if it knew that Israel launched its attack on the Golan Heights without having been attacked by Syria.

On June 3, 1967, Johnson sent the 38th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron of the 26th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, U.S. Air Force, stationed at Ramstein, West Germany, flying four RF-4C state-of-the-art (Phantom) jet fighters equipped with military photo-reconnaissance gear, to the Negev desert, southeast of the big IAF air base at Beersheba, southwest of Dimona.

On June 5, as the IAF launched the largest coordinated air attack ever undertaken in the Middle East (destroying Egypt's air force on the ground), the RF-4C's began overflying bombed and burning air bases in Egypt, Syria, and Jordan.

On June 8 or 9, the operation's mission changed somewhat.  Once the Arab air forces had been destroyed on the ground, the primary mission of the Negev reconnaissance operation switched to night sorties ferreting out Arab troop movements, to permit devastatingly accurate Israeli air attacks early on the following morning.  The night reconnaissance on June 8 and 9 also enabled IDF commanders to accurately assess the Jordanian and Egyptian strength that remained and thus facilitated decisions about which units could be sent north to undertake the attack on Syria, and exactly when these units could be safely moved.

Once the battle had been joined in Syria, the mission changed again to close-in tactical reconnaissance of Syrian positions, in and just north of the Golan Heights.

-- Stephen Green, Taking Sides -- America's Secret Relations with a Militant Israel, Amana Books 1988, ISBN 0-915597-54-3, pp. 204-207 (excerpts)

Photographic prints of the aerial reconnaissance were given to the Israelis as they came out of the processing facilities on the ground in the Negev.  A second copy was sent to Washington.  The Israelis got theirs first.

In other words, Johnson knew exactly what was going on, in real time, and what the U.S.S. Liberty might possibly have learned, that Johnson didn't already know, was nothing at all, and the Israelis knew that.

The attack was nothing more than a slap on Johnson's wrist, reminding him who put him in the Oval Office and how thoroughly Israelis controlled the American government and media.  It did nothing more than force Johnson to cover up the Israeli murder of 34 Americans, and was intended to do exactly that, to show Johnson just how thoroughly he was an Israeli lackey.

There was no tactical or strategic purpose or value to the attack whatsoever.  The U.S.S. Liberty translators were Russian, not Hebrew, and were tasked with listening on Egyptian Air Force radio frequencies for Russian pilots.  They were oblivious to the USAF reconnaissance flights over the Negev, Egypt, Lebanon and Syria.

Johnson knew the Israelis were attacking Syria before it happened.  American planes virtually videotaped the whole war.  The U.S.S. Liberty did not endanger "Israeli security" in any way at all.  There was no reason to attack it other than to bitch-slap Johnson.

It's too dark here.

Offline E_T

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
The attack was nothing more than a slap on Johnson's wrist, reminding him who put him in the Oval Office and how thoroughly Israelis controlled the American government and media.  It did nothing more than force Johnson to cover up the Israeli murder of 34 Americans, and was intended to do exactly that, to show Johnson just how thoroughly he was an Israeli lackey.

Hi, WRS,

I remember that this was your contention on why the USS Liberty was attacked.  I think the motive was multi-faceted.  Their m.o. seems to be "as many birds with one stone" per operation... i.e. multi-faceted.  I strongly believe that the USS Liberty was to be used as a false-flag event  - but word got out thank God before she was sunk!  In 1967, there were still too many Patriots in our Gov't.  Unfortunately, 9/11 they succeeded on a grand scale... but having just had a successful coup in high places (thanks to Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al) facilitated that success. 

Johnson which I believe was part of JFK's assassination in collusion with Israel and organized jewry, he already knew their force.

edited to add:

M.O. refers to modus operandi
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 01:15:13 PM by E_T »

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
"as many birds with one stone" per operation

You have jews as people gaining, Israel as a nation gaining, larry silverstien gaining, jews in the financial industry (shorting the airlines) gaining, jews in the security business gaining, jews in the war business gaining, jew weaponry middlemen gaining, jew Iraqi agents gaining, jews in gov't gaining, jews in politics gaining, jewish non-profits gaining, jews in media gaining,  ...it goes on.

It must have been a magic stone hitting sitting ducks.
Nobody gets paid to tell the truth.

Offline FrankDialogue

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
I have always been convinced, since studying this issue, that there was a network of Israeli or Jewish moles in the Navy who fascilitated the attack, and especially diverted certain communications that would have moved the USS Liberty out of harm's way...I am no expert on this matter, but I vividly remember the whole '6 Day War' and the attack on our ship...The 'news people' said it was a 'tragic accident'...I was in 8th Grade in elementary school at the time, and watched the whole spectacle unfold on TV...I had no particular political view at the time, since I was 12 years old...I just watched...As I did the Kennedy assasination, and Lee Harvey Oswald get blown away by Jack 'Ruby' Rubenstein...

How 'they' Took the West Bank and Jerusalem

Offline E_T

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Hi, Wag,

I'm not quite sure if I understand your post.

But in case you didn't understand mine, when I referred to "as many birds with one stone", I wasn't referring exclusively to the USS Liberty Incident.  I am referring to their modus operandi, m.o., in general when orchestrating covert operations.  Motive/Benefit factors.

edited to add...

But absolutely, I feel the USS Liberty Crew were unwittingly sitting ducks... and most likely their mission was just that (cannon fodder) for that operation.

Offline E_T

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Interesting.  Also facilitating coverups.  Ahron Jay Cristol is proof of your insight about traitors within.  It has only gotten worse.

Two very sore subjects for me... The JFK assasination and the USS Liberty.  I must say, opening up this chapter today reopened those feelings and I had a very unhappy day.  I try not to dwell on it, but sometimes I can't help it.

Btw, excellent point at your post @ Re: Banning policy at Nola.

Offline thomaspain

• Group Major
    • View Profile
`˜Son, I spent 2 years as a special agent in the FBI and over 30 yrs in the military, and if it is one thing I learned through all of this, it`s that when you get an order, you say `˜yes sir` and carry it out with no questions asked`.

Most prostitutes will agree to any demand if the proper amount of money is offered. Many males prostitute themselves for the promise of a pension. Apparently this person feels that the natural end of his pension is very near and he can stop eating the shit-sandwich. His traitorous part in this affair cannot be wiped clean by a softly-spoken confession. He and all the other traitors will have to continue living with their guilt. Men without honor lead a hollow life. He can look forward to the fact that some outraged patriots will urinate on his grave. The legacy he will leave his family is one of shame. He and they will feel the contempt, silent or otherwise, all their lives.

"I love the valiant; but it is not enough to wield a broadsword, one must know against whom."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rudi Jan

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • aka LoneWolf
    • View Profile
    • FauxWorld
But a statement from a witness to the board's work, said Ennes, "could not move a single member of Congress to look seriously at what survivors agree was a cover-up of the deliberate attack by Israel.`

Zionists lap-dogs, which pretty much proves the point: They knew all about it and yet our government, the government I worked for most of my life did nothing about it.
Suspend all belief. Get the facts ~ Rudi
No one rules if no one obeys ~ Lao Tzu

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
...when I referred to "as many birds with one stone", I wasn't referring exclusively to the USS Liberty Incident.  I am referring to their modus operandi, m.o., in general when orchestrating covert operations.  Motive/Benefit factors.

Correct, and 9-11 is the mother of all case studies.  The recent "financial crisis" is another biggee. 

http://www.freedomportal.net/forum/index.php?topic=13110.msg114568#msg114568

The predictions are playing out.

Offline E_T

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Correct, and 9-11 is the mother of all case studies.  The recent "financial crisis" is another biggee.

http://www.freedomportal.net/forum/index.php?topic=13110.msg114568#msg114568

It is a fact.  Good thread.

Economical sabotage... to take over Gentile Enterprises and Interests. 

http://www.the-boondocks.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&&goto=118146#msg_118146

Even before this meltdown, under my Murdoch thread on LF, I tried to systematically show how Gentiles are knocked out via legal wranglings or worse so Jews can take it over... leaving no power in non jewish control.

Offline E_T

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Hi, Thomaspain,

I certainly understand where you are coming from and I am not answering in defense of Cpt. Ward Boston... but offer a hypothetical. 

Let's say he did take a stand... who would have heard him?  Even today if the president himself spilled the beans... who would hear him?  And the little that did get out would be whitewashed, he would be branded a loon and discredited... ruined or worse.  As Cpt. Boston said... that is just how it is within the military and federal organizations.  Those that do remain quiet and don't reveal their cards, keep their posts and do more good by being some of the good guys still within.  Surely Cpt. Ward would have been Forrestalled... and I am not so sure that he eventually wasn't even at his late age.

Offline dean_saor

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
That's a very revealing tactical map.

It's clear to me from the dispositions of the respective formations that the Jordanians weren't expecting the attack. All their formations facing the Israelis are infantry brigades; their two armoured brigades are held back by the Jordan River.

The Israelis attacked with armoured brigades, punching through the infantry positions and cutting them off from each other and from reinforcements. Jordanian armour wasn't in a position to engage before it was all over. The Israelis needed 30-minute intelligence to pull that off, and constant air recce feed - only the USA could have provided them with that. This shows, as does WRS's piece (above), the USA was an active hostile participant in that War - thus all its subsequent handwringing is sheer blatant hypocrisy.

Thinking inductively from that, Liberty must have been a decoy or a sacrificial lamb (though 'why' I've no idea) and her own government set her up. There's high treason afoot here and at the highest political level.
Cha do dhùin doras nach d'fhosgail doras eile;
No door shut but another door opened

Offline wag

• Veteran
    • View Profile
...Gentiles are knocked out via legal wranglings or worse so Jews can take it over... leaving no power in non jewish control.

Jews can only be successful via controlling our laws.  That's why we have so many laws, and so many judges and lawyers who are mostly jews.

Offline thomaspain

• Group Major
    • View Profile
Those that do remain quiet and don't reveal their cards, keep their posts and do more good by being some of the good guys still within.

That is true. I know quite a few like that. I don't like to hear them tell me that as soon as they have enough rank they'll change things. By then they are so bitter and compromised that they can't or won't. This includes police and politicians. I just hope they restrain themselves when the cleansing comes, and don't react too vigorously against the people.

VETERAN'S CHALLENGE
I once swore an Oath
to defend the CONSTITUTION
against all its enemies
foreign and domestic.

DOMESTIC?

Offline E_T

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
One thing I know for sure... interesting times indeed.  I would love to just go back to ignorance was bliss.

Offline WindRiverShoshoni

• Group Major
    • View Profile
Thinking inductively from that, Liberty must have been a decoy or a sacrificial lamb (though 'why' I've no idea) and her own government set her up. There's high treason afoot here and at the highest political level.

Johnson was on television and in the UN playing "bad cop" and excoriating the "naughty Israelis," "warning" them not to do this or that, et cetera, while he had the recon squadron in the Negev giving the IDF near-real-time aerial photography ~ infrared included.

So it's entirely possible that Dayan (or somebody) told him to shut up or he'd be sorry.  He didn't shut up until the USS Liberty was attacked, at which point he suddenly had other things on his mind than pretending to the world that he was opposed to the Israeli invasions of all of its neighbors.

The attack on the ship was certainly not a "false flag" intended to bring the US into the war on Israel's side ~ the US was already neck-deep in it.  Nor was it necessary ~ the Egyptian Air Force was already burned into the asphalt runways.

"Shut up or else you'll be sorry" or "Bitch slap" ~ take your pick.  It's a sure bet that Israelis didn't appreciate Johnson's hypocritical posturing.  Criticism of Israel is simply not tolerated, no matter what the purpose or who is playing to the cameras.

The day Kennedy was shot it came to me that Johnson was complicit.  At that time I was a complete dunce on matters political and the Israelis.  But it just seemed to jump out at me that Johnson wasn't surprised or the least bit bothered.

He didn't want to embarrass his ally then, and he didn't want to embarrass his ally in '67.

Right.  I think a lot of people would like to dig him up and hang him.  I'd hook up some kind of cable or satellite television to watch that ...
It's too dark here.

Offline dean_saor

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Perhaps they had the right idea in the Middle Ages? They'd often disinter a traitor and hang his body from a gibbet or in a cage over the main gate to a town: gruesome, but an effective post mortem recompense, and a salutary warning to others.
Cha do dhùin doras nach d'fhosgail doras eile;
No door shut but another door opened

Offline E_T

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Insider Tells the Truth About the Cover-up of the Attack on the USS Liberty
June 9, 2007

People are just learning that the Court of Inquiry was falsified. The Court's own legal counsel, Captain Ward Boston, now says publicly in Navy Times and elsewhere that the court actually believed that the attack was deliberate but reported otherwise falsely because it was so ordered by Washington.
http://www.ussliberty.org/history405.htm

Declaration of
Ward Boston, Jr.,Captain, JAGC, USN (Ret.)
Counsel to the U.S. Navy Court of Inquiry`s investigation into the Israeli attack on the USS Liberty
Download the Document

I, Ward Boston, Jr. do declare that the following statement is true and complete:

For more than 30 years, I have remained silent on the topic of USS Liberty. I am a military man and when orders come in from the Secretary of Defense and President of the United States, I follow them.

However, recent attempts to rewrite history compel me to share the truth.

In June of 1967, while serving as a Captain in the Judge Advocate General Corps, Department of the Navy, I was assigned as senior legal counsel for the Navy`s Court of Inquiry into the brutal attack on USS Liberty, which had occurred on June 8th.

The late Admiral Isaac C. Kidd, president of the Court, and I were given only one week to gather evidence for the Navy`s official investigation into the attack, despite the fact that we both had estimated that a proper Court of Inquiry into an attack of this magnitude would take at least six months to conduct.

Admiral John S. McCain, Jr., then Commander-in-chief, Naval Forces Europe (CINCUSNAVEUR), at his headquarters in London, had charged Admiral Kidd (in a letter dated June 10, 1967) to `inquire into all the pertinent facts and circumstances leading to and connected with the armed attack; damage resulting therefrom; and deaths of and injuries to Naval personnel.`

Despite the short amount of time we were given, we gathered a vast amount of evidence, including hours of heartbreaking testimony from the young survivors.

The evidence was clear. Both Admiral Kidd and I believed with certainty that this attack, which killed 34 American sailors and injured 172 others, was a deliberate effort to sink an American ship and murder its entire crew. Each evening, after hearing testimony all day, we often spoke our private thoughts concerning what we had seen and heard. I recall Admiral Kidd repeatedly referring to the Israeli forces responsible for the attack as `murderous bastards.` It was our shared belief, based on the documentary evidence and testimony we received first hand, that the Israeli attack was planned and deliberate, and could not possibly have been an accident.

I am certain that the Israeli pilots that undertook the attack, as well as their superiors, who had ordered the attack, were well aware that the ship was American.

I saw the flag, which had visibly identified the ship as American, riddled with bullet holes, and heard testimony that made it clear that the Israelis intended there be no survivors. 10. Not only did the Israelis attack the ship with napalm, gunfire, and missiles, Israeli torpedo boats machine-gunned three lifeboats that had been launched in an attempt by the crew to save the most seriously wounded `” a war crime.

Admiral Kidd and I both felt it necessary to travel to Israel to interview the Israelis who took part in the attack. Admiral Kidd telephoned Admiral McCain to discuss making arrangements. Admiral Kidd later told me that Admiral McCain was adamant that we were not to travel to Israel or contact the Israelis concerning this matter.

Regrettably, we did not receive into evidence and the Court did not consider any of the more than sixty witness declarations from men who had been hospitalized and were unable to testify in person.

I am outraged at the efforts of the apologists for Israel in this country to claim that this attack was a case of `mistaken identity.`

In particular, the recent publication of Jay Cristol`s book, The Liberty Incident, twists the facts and misrepresents the views of those of us who investigated the attack.

It is Cristol`s insidious attempt to whitewash the facts that has pushed me to speak out.

I know from personal conversations I had with Admiral Kidd that President Lyndon Johnson and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara ordered him to conclude that the attack was a case of `mistaken identity` despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Admiral Kidd told me, after returning from Washington, D.C. that he had been ordered to sit down with two civilians from either the White House or the Defense Department, and rewrite portions of the court`s findings.

Admiral Kidd also told me that he had been ordered to `put the lid` on everything having to do with the attack on USS Liberty. We were never to speak of it and we were to caution everyone else involved that they could never speak of it again.

I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of that statement as I know that the Court of Inquiry transcript that has been released to the public is not the same one that I certified and sent off to Washington.

I know this because it was necessary, due to the exigencies of time, to hand correct and initial a substantial number of pages. I have examined the released version of the transcript and I did not see any pages that bore my hand corrections and initials. Also, the original did not have any deliberately blank pages, as the released version does. Finally, the testimony of Lt. Painter concerning the deliberate machine gunning of the life rafts by the Israeli torpedo boat crews, which I distinctly recall being given at the Court of Inquiry and included in the original transcript, is now missing and has been excised.

Following the conclusion of the Court of Inquiry, Admiral Kidd and I remained in contact. Though we never spoke of the attack in public, we did discuss it between ourselves, on occasion. Every time we discussed the attack, Admiral Kidd was adamant that it was a deliberate, planned attack on an American ship.

In 1990, I received a telephone call from Jay Cristol, who wanted to interview me concerning the functioning of the Court of Inquiry. I told him that I would not speak to him on that subject and prepared to hang up the telephone. Cristol then began asking me about my personal background and other, non-Court of Inquiry related matters. I endeavored to answer these questions and politely extricate myself from the conversation. Cristol continued to return to the subject of the Court of Inquiry, which I refused to discuss with him. Finally, I suggested that he contact Admiral Kidd and ask him about the Court of Inquiry.

Shortly after my conversation with Cristol, I received a telephone call from Admiral Kidd, inquiring about Cristol and what he was up to. The Admiral spoke of Cristol in disparaging terms and even opined that `Cristol must be an Israeli agent.` I don`t know if he meant that literally or it was his way of expressing his disgust for Cristol`s highly partisan, pro-Israeli approach to questions involving USS Liberty.

At no time did I ever hear Admiral Kidd speak of Cristol other than in highly disparaging terms. I find Cristol`s claims of a `close friendship` with Admiral Kidd to be utterly incredible. I also find it impossible to believe the statements he attributes to Admiral Kidd, concerning the attack on USS Liberty.

Several years later, I received a letter from Cristol that contained what he purported to be his notes of our prior conversation. These `notes` were grossly incorrect and bore no resemblance in reality to that discussion. I find it hard to believe that these `notes` were the product of a mistake, rather than an attempt to deceive. I informed Cristol that I disagreed with his recollection of our conversation and that he was wrong. Cristol made several attempts to arrange for the two of us to meet in person and talk but I always found ways to avoid doing this. I did not wish to meet with Cristol as we had nothing in common and I did not trust him.

Contrary to the misinformation presented by Cristol and others, it is important for the American people to know that it is clear that Israel is responsible for deliberately attacking an American ship and murdering American sailors, whose bereaved shipmates have lived with this egregious conclusion for many years.

Dated: January 9, 2004
at Coronado, California.
Ward Boston, Jr., Captain, JAGC, USN (Ret.)
Senior Counsel to the USS Liberty Court of Inquiry

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/us_ints/ul-boston.html